Problems with 3Yo Transit Dual Fuel

Just had loss of power on our 3Yo transit diagnosed as a broken/stuck EGR valve..

Easy to fix But its has taken out the Catalyst...at a cool 1500 pounds for the dual fuel version

and then to cap it the ford garage thats fixing it reported that the flywheel is in need of replacment urgently...

needless to say its all out of warrenty..just...

anybody had any experiance of Ford and these problems... who can i shout at other than the wall..

ian H

Reply to
ianh

Firstly a duff EGR valve will not kill the cat. Only neat fuel passing through it from over fuelling or a misfire will do that, or overheating it (and thus melting) from a rich mixture and continuous high engine load.

If your cat is dead, look somewhere else for the problem.

The dual mass flywheels are known to disintegrate on the TDCi's but is the I4 fitted with one?

Anyhow, if the van has got a properly stamped service book by Ford and not stupidly high miles, I would be on the phone to CS askign for some goodwill at least!

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Otherwise you'll want an aftermarket cat.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Thanks for observations.

EGR was stuck open... and garage just informed me that the computer has said the cat is dead..

Vehicle stopped on test drive after EGR change and wouldnt start.

Milage is only 41K and is very tidy it doesnt get much ard use...2 days a week...delivering veg..

Reply to
ianh

Thanks for observations.

EGR was stuck open... and garage just informed me that the computer has said the cat is dead..

Vehicle stopped on test drive after EGR change and wouldnt start.

Milage is only 41K and is very tidy it doesnt get much ard use...2 days a week...delivering veg..

Reply to
ianh

whats the complaints number for Ford ---oops i supose its Customer Service...

There must be more than one way to kill a Cat? (Q call from RSPCA)

side (air intake) on christmas eve to getting it to Garage on the 2nd it had driven no more than 40 miles max all at low power settings ian H

Reply to
ianh

Computer can only deduce cat is dead from monitoring the rear o2 sensor- if fitted, and the garage is foolish to believe it without doing a tailpipe check.

If it has a rear o2 sensor, you can deduce the cat performance from the output - if it mimicks the front o2 sensor the cat is possibly dead, but still check the tailpipe readings WITH a working or blanked off EGR valve.

The reason the van stopped needs to be investigated.

Investigate dealer into some goodwill.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

[snip]

IIRC, a lean mixture can also cause a cat to overheat.

Reply to
David Taylor