2,5000 to 3,500 for an old vauxhall chevette?

What do you make of this? An old vauxhall chevette 1984 going up for auction with a guide price of between 2,500 and 3,500. Sounds crazy to
me,. Doesnt even have an MOT now.
I thought they stopped making chevettes in 1982 not 84. Looks a very old fashione dcar for 84.
http://www.classic-auctions.com/detailb.php?&sal_salnoyC&car_carno 803&sal_typeR
Lot 6 Estimate 2500 - 3500 Mileage 16436 Colour GREEN Trim Colour GREEN Chassis No M2EE134006 Engine No 2256344 Registration No A819PKE CC 1256 M.O.T MAY 2006 Introduced in May 1975, the Chevette was notable as Vauxhall's first small hatchback. A neat three-door design with frontal styling cues taken from the 'Droop Snoot' Firenza, its monocoque bodyshell featured independent double-wishbone front suspension, a Panhard-rod located coil-sprung 'live' rear axle, dual circuit servo-assisted brakes and rack and pinion steering. Powered by a 1256cc OHV four-cylinder engine, its 57bhp and 66lbft of torque outputs were fed to the rear wheels via a four-speed manual gearbox. An engaging drive, it was reputedly capable of over 90mph in base trim. Equipped with two-speed fan, radial tyres, reversing lamps and heated rear windscreen as standard, a September 1979 facelift saw it gain flush-fitting headlamps, revised reclining front seats, door pockets, additional facia vents and a rear fog lamp. A best-seller during the 1970s, it remained in production until 1984. Finished in green with green cloth upholstery, this particular example is described by the vendor as being in "as new" condition with regard to its engine, transmission, electrical equipment, interior trim, chassis, bodywork and paintwork. Said to have had "one owner from new", this "timewarp car" has covered just 16,346 miles. Reportedly "well maintained" and subject to "only light summer use", it is still shod with its original Michelin tyres. Perfect for museum display or as a 'priceless' piece of nostalgia, this remarkable Chevette is offered for sale with MOT certificate valid until May 18th 2006.
"Ben Davis" <bdavis> wrote in message

http://www.classic-auctions.com/detailb.php?&sal_salnoyC&car_carno 803&sal_typeR
*LOVELY* For it's age.
Date is probably correct. IIRC the first Astras were produced in '83.
gazzafield wrote:

'80/W reg, I'm pretty sure.
And the Chevette was discontinued in '84. I had one of the last, though I've seen a B-plater of the poverty-spec ES model.
Richard
--
RichardK - http://www.dmc12.demon.co.uk/ - retro, music, cars.
2006 Mazda RX8, 1992 Sera Phase III -= Do Not Tempt With New Cars =-

Both wrong! http://www.vauxhallheritage.com/articles/centenary/thousandmiletrial.asp
gazzafield wrote:

1979 is "announced" - and 1981 is when they started building them here, but it doesn't give a date for discontinuing the Chevette, or for the Astra's launch - Chevettes and Astras were also built in Germany and Belgium IIRC. (Maybe not Belgium. Where am I getting Belgium from?).
I'm annoyed. I was going to put '79 but thought that they didn't sell the Astra that early. In Germany it was sold as the Kadett (the first models being those odd saloon ones with Alfasud-like back ends) and I'm sure those came out in 1980 properly.
Don't get me standard on when Chevettes - as in T-bodies - were discontinued though ;) I'm being kind by sticking to the UK model.
Richard
--
RichardK - http://www.dmc12.demon.co.uk/ - retro, music, cars.
2006 Mazda RX8, 1992 Sera Phase III -= Do Not Tempt With New Cars =-
In Ben Davis <bdavis> waffled on in a semi-interesting fashion, it went something like this;

http://www.classic-auctions.com/detailb.php?&sal_salnoyC&car_carno 803&sal_typeR
<Chevette blah>
I know the gentleman who owns that auction house, and if he values that Shoveit at 2500-3500, that's more than likely what it'll fetch.
--
Pete M - The Corporate Penguin.
Range Rover Vogue EFI,

It doesn't sound over optimistic if it's as good as it says.
--
*Some days you're the dog, some days the hydrant.

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

If it was red, I'd buy it. 4 dr just like my first car (well, excluding the Allegro that expired just before I was 17).
Richard
--
RichardK - http://www.dmc12.demon.co.uk/ - retro, music, cars.
2006 Mazda RX8, 1992 Sera Phase III -= Do Not Tempt With New Cars =-
Why bid on a classic original car, when you can buy a "Vauxhall chevette cosworth hot rod drag car" with beautiful rag rolled paintwork for a mere 2 grand on ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&itemF42420907

I quite like that!
--
Skipweasel
We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "xscope"

It's nice to see Cossie lumps put to good use. That would make a wonderful Q-car.
--

Dave
SE6a

Not really. Looks like a minter. A local car dealer near me had a mint condition one in and he sold that for 2k.
--
Conor,
Grumpy Old Man.