Paint options

Hi there

I've just bought a Series 3 hardtop (circa 1984 on an A plate) and want to repaint the exterior and loadbay. The bodywork is pretty good, but I bought it from a dealer, who used it as a runabout, and sign painted the hardtop panels and rear door with his livery. Would I be right in assuming that (its green) the colour scheme goes sort of Bronze Green main body panels and door, Off white for the roof and side panels...? The logbook just says green, but ther appear to be about a hundred options!

Is this a job that can be done at home, or would it be better to take it to a sprayer?

Thanks

Reply to
Neil Paxman

On or around Wed, 9 Mar 2005 21:18:48 +0000 (UTC), "Neil Paxman" enlightened us thusly:

you can paint it with tractor enamel or similar, and a brush. You need the right weather conditions; too hot and the paint won't spread properly before drying. Too cold and it takes ages to dry.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Reply to
Neil Paxman

"Limestone", if I remember right.

It used to be that Halfords sold coach paint, another sort of brush-on paint for getting a good-quality finish. Any brush-painting needs a bit of practice to get good results.

Austin's "tractor enamel" is the sort of paint which you can get at an agricultural machinery dealer. Likely my skill had a lot to do with it, but it may not give as good a finish. I don't recall seeing matches to Land Rover colours, but if you want something a bit different...

Avoid Hammerite/Smoothrite.

On the aluminium bodywork you need to use a suitable primer.

Now, can somebody point at the painting FAQ before I make a complete fool of myself?

Reply to
David G. Bell

I think it's Ivory, or something including that name anyway (mine is brown but ivory above the waist).

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
MVP

If it's green and cream it's probably Bronze Green and Limestome as this fits in with the year of manufacture being 1984.

Steve.

Reply to
Stephen Hull

On or around Fri, 11 Mar 2005 07:54:42 +0000 (GMT), snipped-for-privacy@zhochaka.demon.co.uk ("David G. Bell") enlightened us thusly:

I found you needed a good brush and the right conditions. Blackfriars used to do "Land Rover Green" which was a goo imitation of deep bronze green, and you could also get David Brown Orchid White, which ain't far off limestone.

dunno about other makers.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Indeed, there is a small learning curve.

Tractol is another derivative of Tekaloid which is just as good, the only difference AFIAK is Tractol enamel is used on Tractors which require a less prestigious finish than carriages do were the finish dries a little faster.

Hammerite is not as good as is used to be, They've removed some of the original paints properties.

Yep, an etch primer usually called acid etch, so called because it etches into the aluminium surface creating a superb key for subsequent coats, Aluminium is an oily material which is why it requires this additional primer to privide maximum adhesion.

You're quite correct so far :)

Steve.

Reply to
Stephen Hull