2 and 1/2 chargers down!

My two aldi units have just died, or at least they are not outputting the correct voltage to provide a charge, but showing fully charged. I then tried my no name 4amp auto charger and that had decided its charge display was faulty.

Now getting a bit desperate, I pulled out my known to have failed 30amp

  • charger which I designed many years ago which failed a while back, but which I never got around to repairing due to having plenty of other chargers around.

Marvelous unit, it puts a pulse of current into the battery, then checks the voltage, before firing the next pulse and so it goes on gradually tapering the charge rate down as it approaches a fully charged state. Ten minutes and it would start anything from a completely flat battery. I've just opened it up to take a peek with a view to getting it going and all that was wrong with it was a crimp lug on a 4mm charging output lead had overheated inside the unit and parted company, plus a lot of smoke damage - but now it works once again :-)

A very satisfying outcome and feeling quite chuffed with myself. I spent several weeks developing that, when all there was to buy were the simple chargers where you had to watch them to prevent them overcharging....

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield