Slightly OT. Battery Chargers

Looking at getting myself a charger but the ones I have seen all say upto

2000cc. Why is there a cc rating on a charger and can I use them on a 2.25 or a 2.5 landrover?

Daft questions I know but there you go we can't all be brilliant.....

- Rory Manton

- Oh gods , why me?

Reply to
Rory Manton

as far as im aware, it doesnt matter what size of battery your charging,

ie..

a 500 amp hour battery may take 4 hours to charge at 4 amp. but a 850 amp hour battery would take 9 hours, ( made these figures up , so dont flame me)

you want a battery charger that will trickle charge, auto shut off when battery is full . I looked at these the other month and if my memory serves me correct, they were in the region of 50-+ uk pounds.

Andy

Reply to
Andy

Where did you see these? I can't think of what 'cc' might be but might be able to if I could look up the specs for myself.

Reply to
PDannyD

Andy wrote

AFAIK, a battery is a battery, no matter what size of engine it is connected to. I can only assume that the manufacturers produce light-duty and heavy-duty chargers (based on charging amps), and deem the heavy-duty ones to be more suitable for the bigger batteries that larger engines will require. The 2000cc limit is presumably completely arbitrary. A small battery charger on a large battery will just take longer, that's all. As Andy says, look for a charger that will trickle-charge at a couple of amps and then shut off, or deliver a float charge, when the battery is fully charged. You are more likely to get a decent one at a motor factors. Halfords did one a couple of years ago that looked brilliant value, but simply didn't work. I took it back to exchange it and was told that they had a bad batch - none of the ones in stock could be guaranteed to work. Have a full refund, Sir. At least they were honest!

Rich

Reply to
Richard Brookman