Frozen Diesel?

-20C here outside sunny (and it is sunny!) Lanark. Hyundai Santa Fe 2.2 CDTi has been amazing in the snow, but won't start this morning. Started 1st time and ran for about 5 seconds and then died and won't restart. I'm assuming it's the diesel that's frozen. If so what is the best way to thaw it and does anyone know if there are any special instructions for starting after fuel starvation?

Reply to
Ian

Normally it's the filter that waxes up, you can warm it up, but you'll still have wax floating about in the tank, and in general you need to add the winter fuel additive before then.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

tow it into a warm garage for a day or two, then it will probably start and run OK, add an anti wax additive.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Mrcheerful" saying something like:

Or 5% kerosene.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

I was initially going to say that, but then wondered if the vehicle was some modern high falutin' diesel that would blow up its pump, especially as paraffin /kerosene is mildly abrasive.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

"Abrasive" or just less lubricating? Hard to believe that a liquid = hydrocarbon could actually be abrasive.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

"Abrasive" or just less lubricating? Hard to believe that a liquid hydrocarbon could actually be abrasive.

Tim

That is what I read some years ago in a book on landrovers IIRC, but perhaps it just meant that wear increased (due to low lubricity) Either way, I would be very wary of using it in a modern diesel, which often wear out their pumps quickly in any case (ford and Vauxhall for certain)

Reply to
Mrcheerful

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Mrcheerful" saying something like:

Both BP and Caterpillar (and many other engine makers) are ok with 5% kero. 5% kero will guard against waxing to quite a low temp, in UK terms.

typical heavy plant diesel nowadays is just as sophisticated as anyBMW. The old Landy book would have cautioned against using kero in greater quantities than that, as some were wont to do, unless restoring some lube properties with mineral oil (amazing how many were stupid enough to not do so). For their older engines, Cat say it can be used, but with the same proviso.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Fine as long as our not acosted by customs and exise

Reply to
steve robinson

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "steve robinson" saying something like:

There is a form, you know. Easy to get, just phone them up. All they want to see is your willingness to pay the duty on it and all's well.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon