Radiator fan

I have a renault 19 and as it has been off the road for a few months only found out that the fan was seized. With plenty of WD40 and penetrating fluid I have release the fan and it can now turn freely. I am wondering though if the motor has burnt out. Doing a search on this group I came across a similar post and a member suggested doing the following

"if not, take a 12v feed straight from the battery and apply to the terminal of the fan motor (watch your fingers!) if the fan still refuses to start, you possibly have a burnt out motor."

Does this mean just taking a piece of electrical cable, wrapping it aroung the live of the battery and with the other end touching the fan terminal to see if it powers up?

Thanks

Roddy

Reply to
Rodders

The message from "Rodders" contains these words:

Yes - and no. You'll need to arrange for the return path as well.

Reply to
Guy King

Yep. Assuming that it only has one wire going to it and it is still mounted on the vehicle, or is otherwise connected back to the battery negative.

A prudent person would possibly put an inline fuse of perhaps 20A rating in the cable in case the motor is dead short circuit.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Thanks guys,

can I try and clarify in my mind what I have to do. From the fan there is a connector with a male and female end. Do I bring the cable from the live terminal of the battery to the male end of the connector, and another cable from the negative on the battery to the female.

Thanks

Roddy (really useless when it comes to this sort of stuff)

Reply to
Rodders

The message from "Rodders" contains these words:

That would depend which terminal is which.

You might be better off asking someone who has an idea of what they're doing.

Reply to
Guy King

Pretty well, yes - but if I were you I would have an in-line fuse in the positive wire, just in case ...

Reply to
R. Murphy

The male one on the fan side of the plug should be for the live feed, this means when you disconnect the plug, the live feed will be on the female side of the plug on the wires, this way if you drop it against earth you won't get a zap.

Remember, " pins point to power"

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

The message from "shazzbat" contains these words:

However wonderful this idea is - it's not universally followed.

For one thing, many connectors shroud the pins sufficiently well that it doesn't matter whether the live terminal is male or female.

Reply to
Guy King