Driving just bought car home and insurance.

Going to look over over a car for sale (from a private sellar) with a young relative who wants to buy it.

He has no car insurance as yet. Since we dont know if we are going to buy, i dont want the car to be added to my insurance beforehand.

But my existing car insurance gives me the option of driving another car in

*unusual circumstances*. From any legal point of view could this qualify as unusual circumstances enough for me to drive it home? If the owner of the car agreed to only transfer the sale of the car at midnight, could i then drive the car home on my insurance?

Is it considered reasonable, if his insurance covers other drivers to ask him if i can drive it home on his insurance?

What do people normally do in these circumstances?

Reply to
D. T. Green

Single day car insurance. If you ring your broker it's normally quite cheap.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

More common is to have insurance which lets you drive a car you don't own with the owner's permission. BUT the new laws make this dodgy if the owner doesn't have it insured, because it is illegal to have an uninsured car on the road even if you have insurance to drive it. With more ANPR in police cars there's a very real risk of getting stopped. I suppose that was your point about agreeing that the sale wasn't completed until the car was safely home.

Check your insurance certificates carefully as soon as you receive them: we've had two cases where brokers had transposed two digits in the number, resulting in the cars not showing as insured on the database. Both resolved fairly quickly by phone calls during normal office hours, but if you get picked up at night you risk having the vehicle seized, and being left stuck in the middle of nowhere.

Reply to
newshound

Most policies let you drive any car but only with third party cover. Check your policy and it will tell you or phone your insurers to check.

McK.

Reply to
McKevvy

I do not believe that is correct. It does however make for a high probability of being stopped by police who may cause you a great deal of problems before they are convinced it is legal.

Reply to
Cynic

I would imagine that if the vehicle is otherwise uninsured, but covered by the driver's insurance, it's legal until the moment the driver stops in a public place and walks away from the vehicle.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

several of the large insurance companies have a rider tha the car must carry third party insurance if you wish to drive under your own policy if the vehicle is otherwise uninsured then your policy will not cover you

Reply to
steve robinson
[...]

Mine doesn't, but I still think there is potentially the problem Ihave suggested.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Beak the law, probably.

The current owner may not have the vehicle As part of Continuous Insurance Enforcement (CIE), it is now a legal requirement for registered vehicle keepers to insure their vehicle(s) at all times.

"You don?t have to be driving to be caught. It is an offence to keep a vehicle without insurance unless you have notified DVLA that your vehicle is being kept off the road by means of a Statutory off Road Notice (SORN)."

In most circumstances, it looks like it would now be impossible to view a vehicle, buy it, and drive it straight home.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

All my policies have the clause now

Reply to
steve robinson

Who'se is yours with?

Reply to
Duncan Wood

aviva, Groupama

Reply to
steve robinson

Cool, not using them then.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

If you don't know whether you are going to buy, insure it in you name for a day or two as mentioned previously. If you decide to buy you drive it home. Then start insurance proper in their name. I did it for my children and it only cost =A36 each time. So it doesn't matter if you decide to walk away.

Reply to
DavidR (was dr6092)

Who was that with? I've just tried an online quote, and it was £18.45!

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

If it is not your would be sale it is nothing to do with you and you'd have no rights at all to drive it and would be without cover if you did.

Reply to
TP

So you view a vehicle, buy it, phone the insurance Co. and get it covered and then drive it straight home.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q
[...]

Assuming you buy at a time when the insurance company has its phone lines manned, and you don't want to get competitive quotes of course.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Without a test drive? You must be a con mans dream.

Reply to
TP

Unnecessary - you might be viewing 5 different vehicles, so you don't want to insure all of them!

My solution when my son was looking to buy a car was to tell the insurance company of the situation, make an application and get quotes for a year's insurance on each potential vehicle, but tell the insurance company not to start any policy unless and until they receive a phone call.

Then view each vehicle and decide which one to buy.

Then, returning to the seller of the chosen vehicle, whilst doing all the DVLA paperwork, seller signing bill of sale etc, I call the insurance company with the reg. number of the chosen car. The ins company selects the correct application from the ones we pre-filed, charges my debit card for the first year's cover at the quote previously agreed for that vehicle, and the cover begins just as my son proudly slides behind the wheel of his first car. Meanwhile the policy in PDF format has been emailed to me so that a print can be carried by my son until the original arrives in the post and the MIB database has been updated.

Simples.

Getting the insurance premium back from son in monthly installments as he had agreed with me - not so simples!

Reply to
Cynic