2005 Vauxhall Astra rear window motor

My niece has asked me to fix the rear window mechanism on her astra, the window has powered down and won't go up.

This appears to be a common problem from wires breaking in the loop between the door pillar and door. The central locking on this door also does not work so it suggests broken wires.

I am wondering if I could power the window up by jumping 12V to the connector in the door but deciding which colour wire is the main power feed is my quandary, I'd guess it is the brown one which is thicker than the rest but does anyone know?

AJH

Reply to
AJH

Electric windows usually use just two wires, to go up: one is positive, the other neutral, to go down they are reversed. So Find the two fat ones that go to the window and apply twelve volts across the two, reverse the polarity if it tries to go the 'wrong' way. Most commonly the fault is the switch.

Reply to
MrCheerful