220GTi - M16

Some time ago I posted a query with regard my 220GTi loosing water. I never really did get solve the problem despite checking connections and so on.

A few months back it started to misfire - usualaly at low revs and under acceleration. OK ticking over and once at speed but things got worse and it came to a halt a few weeks ago almost as if I had run out of petrol.

Due to other commitments I have only just managed to get round to working on it and choose to give it a good overhaul including a new Head Gasket as I had previously changed this but used a "cheap" engine set and thought that may be a contributing factor to water loos perhaps. A slight oil leak had also developed.

Nothing too obvious has jumped out as yet although there looks to be some water leakage on te cylnder head joint at the back near the knock sensor.

Anyway, I'm hoping it will fire and be OK when put back (obvisouly !) but my problem is really why the misfires ? I haven't picked up on any "known" problems with the fuel system and up to the other month it has been pretty much perfect in this dept.

Any pointers appreciated.

Reply to
205

if the head gasket was leaking to the extent that coolant was entering one or more of the cylinders, a misfire would be expected, anti-freeze isnt a great substiture for petrol, you could check which cylinder is misfiring by removing each plug lead in turn while the engine is running, (using well insulated pliers) the engine should drop about 200rpm on each cylinder as the lead is removed, also check you have a good healthy spark at each plug lead, and the plugs are in good order. one thing you should bear in mind, esspecially on these 2ltr engines, is that if the head gasket has failed and the engine has overheated, you may find the cylinder head may be slightly warped in which case it would need to be machined, (re-surfaced, or skimmed for the old boys in here) simply replacing a head gasket on a warped head isnt good enough and it may still leak. expect to pay around £30 to £50 for this.

Reply to
steve

Thanks for the reply

I'm not so sure the H.Gasket was at fault although as I say it was a "cheapie" so I feel happer changing it.

Once the top was off it became apparant that the steel pipe in the cooling system that runs from the fron right (as you look) round and down the back to the water pump had corroded on the "inisde" bend as it drops down. I hadn't picked this up on my first look but once removed and the corrosion scraped a pretty large hole appeared. I guess the wall must have been quite thinner after bending. I'll cut the pipe and sleeve it with some hose so hopefully that may at least solve my water problem.

I had fitted new plugs and HT leads prior to it coming to a halt so I'm just oping it comes back to life when put back - if not I can only assume it is some ignition/ECU problem perhaps ?

Noted but it doesn't seem to be a problem. Both seem pretty flat using a good straight edge although I will perhaps rig up a dial guage and see what fluctuations there are around/on the faces.

Thanks.

Reply to
205