405td 1.8

any tips on setting the injection pump timing? I cannot seem to get it right, the engine starts & runs well but gives off greyish smoke. I had to fit a new (s/h) pump (lucas) after the old one kept blowing its shaft seal out.before this the engine was in good nik using very little oil inspite of 185000 on the clock. Bob

Reply to
Bob Blagg

Do you have the setting tools? I have a small DTi guage and an adapter that fits in the timing port of the pump. I have a Bosch pump and the Lucas uses a lever rather than having the guage read directly off the plunger. They aren't expensive, under £50, but it may be cheaper to get a garage to do it for you. Doesn't take long.

Reply to
yeha