5 series question

I'm sure someone here can help me, I was looking at a BMW 530d 2000 , I was wandering, does this car have a turbo or are all turbo models deignated with 'td' or 'tds' ? Hope this is not a stupid question , but I wander how it can have a 0-60 of 8.1 s with out a turbo!! it's lovely car BTW, I'm really tempted to ask for a test drive ;-)

thanks., Simon

Reply to
mr p

Yes it does.

Don't forget that the badge does not necessarily dictate what it is under the hood - especially with the BMW, heh.

Reply to
DervMan

All BMW diesels are turbo diesels, as with most diesels these days.

Reply to
Johannes

thanks !!

Simon

Reply to
mr p

Apart from the woeful SDI versions of Skodas and VWs - yes, they cost less, but the fuel consumption is worse than the TDI as well as the slug-like performance.

Reply to
Zog The Undeniable

Interesting coincidence, I'm planning to replace my old Audi 100 with a

530D, approx 2000/2001, probably in the 60-100,000 mile range . . . what goes wrong with them ?

TIA

Fd

Reply to
Fergus Duncan

I don't really know , I keep finding out about new gadgets and features on these cars.. I guess that means there is quite a lot to go wrong ! I would think the turbo if it's not been looked after and also the engine is apparently prone to overheating in some cases.

The one I looked at on Saturday seemed quite solidly built, nice interia. no leather seats though which is a shame. I kind of like that big diesel engine.. It seemed to have all new drive belts on it and a full service history.. seems to have a stainless exhaust ( standard ?) There is quite alot of car for the money in my opinion.

The stereo looks nice with seperate displays for the station memories, it might be a PITA to swap out with a better sounding one though... I doubt the CD changer in there works with MP3s..

The next 5 series has a more powerful engine, but is quite a bit more expensive still. the latest one has a twin turbo apparently, it means there is much less turbo lag.

Simon

Reply to
mr p