What actually *is* wrong with the Omega? Answers on a postcard please......

But before I get to that, just thought I'd mention that the dash lights all went out in the Carlton last night, and also the interior light, which should only delay going off when the engine's not running (or the ignition's on) now delays going off all the time (i.e. when a door is opened and shut, or just when I flick the light on for a few seconds, and back off again - is there a fuse that controls this?). So my run of luck continues..........

Anyway, the Omega. Basically, it doesn't work. Heh!

Seriously though, I don't know exactly where it's coming from, but looking from above the engine (standing at the front of the car) I can see a pool of oil to the left of the engine, below it. On starting it up it will rev, but with lots of smoke. This isn't oil burning off the exhaust (or anything hot) as there is just as much smoke when attempting to start the engine from cold. A mate of mine reckons this is exhaust gases - could it have dropped an exhaust valve or could it just be a cracked exhaust manifold or something.

My mate's theory is that the oil could be spewing out via the exhaust manifold (I forget his explanation of this exactly - I don't exactly see the connection between exhaust and oil), or that the turbo could be buggered, but seems fairly confident that the engine itself *isn't* actually f***ed, but it could just need the exhaust manifold sorting out, or at the worst a new turbo (any possibility of finding a decent second hand one?).

So, any ideas as to what exactly it'll need doing to make it a good runner again? I'm reluctant to chuck any more money at it, as I'd rather just cut my losses, but it'd be good to get an accurate diagnosis of what exactly has gone wrong, so I can say exactly what it'll need doing when it comes to chucking it up on ebay. If it's hard to tell from my descriptions, and someone reading this who knows this enging might possibly be in the Berkshire area one evening this week, and wouldn't mind popping over and having a look, then it'd be much appreciated (possibly by way of a bit of beer money).

Cheers,

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

what engine is it? (I've forgotten so forgive me :) )

if it's dropped a valve then it will probably have screwed the piston it's hit this means it'll have oil going into the hole that the valve made in the piston this comes out the exhaust :)

if the turbo is tuckered then it'll smoke LOADS after a few seconds after a cold start while the oil gets round the system and hits the turbo seal it shouldn't be so much that it's coming out the exhaust, but from what experience tells me, oil coming out the exhaust BEFORE it hits the turbo points to serious engine problems oil coming out the exhaust at the tailpipe means the turbo is buggered oily smoke spewing out the exhaust after you rev it means much the same

if you are a bit handy with the spanners I'd suggest you whip the turbo pipes off and have a look for end play and stuff and work from there

Reply to
dojj

The 2.5 TD BMW lump.

When I'm saying the exhaust I'm more talking about smoke which is obviously exhaust gases and not oil burning off hot surfaces, as this is coming up straight away when the engine's completely cold.

To be honest, now I've found an absolute mint Audi (and bought it) I'm really not going to invest any more time or money into the Omega. Shame, as it was, and still is, a lovely car. I think the combination of exhaust gases coming out en masse from under the bonnet, plus oil pissing out everywhere, suggests the turbo's buggered, and I'm 100% confident that if someone had access to a good turbo to put on it, then it would be up and running, and sweet as before. Ebay here we come.........

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Reply to