55mph shimmy

Oct 2000 E39 520iSE Auto Saloon 56,000 miles

Between 55 and 65mph the steering wheel does a shimmy, rapidly oscillating by about 1~2mm.

I've driven the car from new. There are 3 speed humps I have to go over every time I leave or approach the house. For the first two years of its life, it was on contract hire and 35mph or 5 mph is just the right speed to minimise disruption from the humps. Given that I didn't own the car then and didn't expect to buy it, I usually chose the former....

The front tyres were replaced for the first time 4 weeks ago - I've done roughly 2000 miles in that time. *I think* the shimmy was there before but can't be certain.

Google suggests suspension bushes or tracking.

So, what would you recommend? I was thinking along the lines of getting a 4 wheel laser alignment done or maybe hand it over to a local BMW independent garage to give it the once over.

Also, anyone know how much a 'proper' alignment should cost in the UK? I'm thinking more along the lines of avoiding paying too little rather than too much.

Reply to
Grant Mason

I'd be a little surprised if it was tracking but ICBW. I think you would notice uneven wear in 2000 miles if your tracking was out? If you didn't really notice the shimmy before the tyre change then it could be that the tyre place didn't do the balancing correctly.

-- Malc

Reply to
Malc

I am inclined to suspect tire problems.

independent

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

independent

Reply to
RichK

Suspect wheel balancing was done badly when you had the tyres replaced. It's amazing how many tyre places get it wrong. Does the shimmy disappear above these speeds? If so, it's almost certainly the cause.

Dan

Reply to
Dan Post

My vote goes for tire problem, too.

- Juha -

Reply to
Juha

Same thing happen to my 328i. After being told it was my old tires I replaced them. Then told it was the linkage rubber bushings...replaced them.....but in the end the problem was simply a small warp in the disc brakes, of only 0.020" The problem is not listed in there trouble shooting diagnostic PC (not the car computer) Thus they can never seem to find the problem. Try this simple test. Jack one of the front wheels off the ground and by hand spin the wheel. If the brake caliper catches or you hear on and off rubbing of the disc brake then this is your problem.

Reply to
Franklin Call

Hmmm - /shouldn't/ be that. It had a full disc and pad change 12 months ago.

Thanks for all the other replies as well - think I'll get the tyres checked out first.

Reply to
Grant Mason

There are no adjustables in your suspension other than tracking, so any correction would consist of replacing worn or damaged parts. And note that to check things accurately, the car must be correctly loaded.

The most likely cause of your shimmy is worn track control arm bushes - and unfortunately these aren't easy to check other than by substitution as they are 'gel' filled and allow some movement even when new.

I guess you're in the UK. Eurocarparts stock these arms at a reasonable price - it's not really practicable to replace the bushes only without workshop gear.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

I once had such a problem with new discs. The problem started when they were two months old. I, too, discounted them as a cause. Wheels re-balanced, tracking corrected, new wishbones, finally re-changed the discs. At least the supplier didn't give any problems and quickly changed them free of charge.

Reply to
Howard Neil

E39's are very sensitive to a range of problems that results in front wheel shimmy. Sometimes its as simply as the whay the torque was applied when the wheels were installed, or merely the tire pressure. Sometimes its warped rotors (tends to occur under braking only though). The wheel bearings are also somewhat weak and may need replacement (but probably not with the relatively low miles on your car). Then there are all the usual front suspension suspects.

Try

and a search on roadfly. R / John

independent

Reply to
John Carrier

Dunno where you got this one from. It's not true.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

I'm not quite sure how warped discs could cause wheel shimmy without the brakes being applied?

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Reply to
Paul Schnettler

Word of warning, my dad had a shimmy in his BMW E34 when he bought it, changed tyres, wheels, balanced and tracking done countless times, new brake servo, new pads and discs all round, new driveshafts .. the list goes on..

And he still doesn't reckon its completely cured - altho I think the brake servo and new discs along with new driveshafts made a big difference.

Reply to
Ben Organ

That will be the front upper trust arms on an E34 :) Change both and it will be gone. About $100 I am told (£75.00) for the parts an about 1hr per side. Did mine in the summer and lost all the shimmer, everyone said warped this and badly adjusted that - but a guy whos "good" with bimmers said just change the arms and bushes - and yeah he was spot on. I think the E34 website also gives a good guide to changing them too.

Steve E34 M5

Reply to
Steve Walker - NG

But would show up under braking first?

The other symptom of warped discs is increased pedal travel after cruising - the disc runout retracts the pistons beyond their normal rest position.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

But not the most common cause, suspension bushes?

Driveshafts?

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Trouble is I've heard this story many a time - people saying "its definatly this" then it still does it - but I'll mention it - dunno if he wants to put any more money into it..

Cheers for the advice

Reply to
Ben Organ

Yeah apparently they were bent - been kerbed or something badly or something like that - tried new driveshafts and it mostly went away - it worked!!

Reply to
Ben Organ