Going over a speed bump unevenly

Everyone does this to avoid the impact on your side of the car... comfort reasons...

Question: can doing this mess with your alignment?

Reply to
Go Mavs

I do not think that everyone does that.

Yes, depending on vehicle speed, steering wheel position, and bump construction.

Reply to
Ray O

Then i should say I see this done often. Mainly because I live in Dallas Fort Worth and there are speed bumps in every single parking lot and many neighborhood streets. Annoying as hell I tell you. I use to do it because I could speed over it faster without feeling the impact as much on my side of the car (usually where the crease is in between, or on the sides) ... I have been reluctant to do this with the new Yaris..

Thanks. So its just best to go over it evenly then. Hmm... Probablly why my

93 Camry always pulled to the right haha...
Reply to
Go Mavs

Just driving can mess with your alignment. When I used to forest rally in Australia, this sort of bump or washaway rut would appear many times every dirt km. The correct method to avoid clobbering ruts and bumps at speed was to twitch the car a bit sideways so only one wheel at a time would traverse the bump / rut. Suspensions can handle big deflections with no damage: its only when you bottom out (esspecially both front wheels at once) that major damage can occur.

So, let the suspension do its job, and develop a sense of mechanical sympathy when there's no alternative (this means go slower over the bumps...)

SD

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS

I would make it a point to roll over any speed bump or through any pot hole with the brakes released. The technique would be to brake to the speed you want to drive over the obstacle and just before you encounter it, release the brakes and roll over it, get back on the brakes if you need to just after it. It unloads the suspension so it can be more effective and components will usually last longer. In adverse driving conditions keeping off the brakes over obstacles will allow you to maintain a greater margin of steering accuracy as well. IMHO.

Reply to
user

When I am in my work truck a speed bump at an angle is fine but going over it straight sucks bad. When I am in my Supra straight over is fine but at an angle sucks bad.

More than once a passenger has bumped there head on the Supra's side window when I drove over at a angle. What happens is the sway bars cause the car to rock sideways.

Dan

Reply to
Danny G.

I just try to go around them. Sometimes, there is enough room. Or at least go over them with one two tires.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

The best way to get over a speed bump is a speed, believe it or not. Generally around 25 MPH, since the chassis is designed for the axles to absorb bumps at speed. It is not like one is hitting the straight edges of a pothole, with the brakes applied, not allowing the wheel to roll through it.

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

I have been, but mostly beat up shit. Do you think most people would know this though? So far everyone says it can change the alignment but you. Have they all been not driving long too?

Reply to
Go Mavs

Not everyone; not me. I like to approach then straight on. When I approach it at an angle I get uncomfortably wiggly in my seat and I don't like that. I have some of these that I go over regularly at the supermarket. On one of them most folks do the angle thing because it is at the end of a lane and they turn through it. I go straight thru it and then turn. I don't like that wiggle....

That said, I believe that the suspension can handle this without any worry at all. Tomes

Reply to
Tomes