Alternative alternator?

Of the back of my other thread about alternator repair, my mate has found what he believes to be a similar alternator, from a 20065 Corsa, also a Bosch but the 120A model (ours was 70).

Given we just want to be able to get this car going now and buy her some time to find a replacement, is there any reason why we couldn't use the 120A version over the 70?

Assuming they are physically identical (mountings, I'm assuming the pulley could be changed if different), would it just mean that it could charge the battery harder?

The rest of the system would only take whatever it needed?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

I got a very good deal on a brand new 100 amp alterator to replace the 75 amp one on my SD1. A later design - by about 20 years. Very little effort needed to fit it. Had to find the correct pulley (shafts a different size) and upgrade the wiring.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

That's good (especially for those of us doing lots of stuff ourselves).

This 120A one turned out to be mechanically identical to the 70A one so it was fitted and is now working. ;-)

We didn't do that (of course) and I'm hoping we won't need to.

I say that because unless charging the battery from very flat, the general load won't be any different (specifically 'greater') so shouldn't draw any more current from the alternator than previously.

Daughter was pondering the idea of the being the end for the little Corsa, given it's done another 5000 miles since it passed the 200,000 threshold (where it failed the MOT for an oil leak that seems to have been fixed by a leak stop additive), but she doesn't really know what she would like next.

One thing is for sure, she would like something that was 'fully UNloaded', no electric anything, even manual windows as she's seen so many instances of these 'features' going wrong. About the only 'luxury' she's go on the Corsa is central locking and that's crazy (locks itself randomly, won't unlock from the fob etc).

My Rover 218SD came with a faulty electric window (the mech had buckled and collapsed), leaking power steering and crazy central locking (randomly locking, unlocking and immobilising itself). The Meriva has suffered similarly (immobiliser) and currently has intermittent PS.

The Sierra had no such issues (over the 23 years I had it) because it didn't have such features! ;-)

So she was thinking of an estate of some sort. She likes the driving position / experience of a std car (over our Meriva even).

An older Skoda Fabia Estate (petrol) of some sort maybe? I've not really had a VW but step daughter had a Seat that seemed to be ok (heavy clutch pedal).

Something with reasonable mpg with useable performance (she's not a girl racer) that has 'basic' models and that are known to be reliable and cheap to maintain and insure. We don't want a DMF that when it fails will write an otherwise good car off?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m