Anti-freeze.

Was looking for the best buy anti-freeze for the old Rover. It's an ally engine so needs the stuff for that - organic long life is said not to be suitable for the copper rad.

Did use Halfords, but they now only do a ready mixed at about twice the old price of the concentrate.

Looking at EuroCarParts, they seem unwilling to say what different types they stock, but want your car details so they can choose for you. And the one they recommend for the Rover? A 'waterless' type at 8 quid a litre...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

That is 4 times the price of unconcentrated. Have you pointed this out to the manager?

Let me know how you get on, I'm looking for the right stuff for a 'B' Series with an ally Downton (made by HRG) head.

Reply to
Davey

I found that recently. Was curious about the benefits of 'waterless', but I suspect it's just showing that because it's not keyed on vehicles.

(I'm getting rather fed up of 'computer jockey' parts places where they need a reg just to find out if they have screenwash or a bit of rubber tube)

Anyway, if you search for 'antifreeze' all the usuals come up. You probably want:

or
(it's all own brand, but I assume ethylene glycol is ethylene glycol)

Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos

Possibly if you have hot spots in the cylinder head, and get steam pockets, the waterless might help. But the manufacturer does not reveal the specific heat of it, which worries me. Water and ammonia have the greatest specific heat, and it is very unlikely complex molecules come close.

Reply to
bruce56

Doing a bit more research, lots seem to be selling ready mixed rather than concentrate. Which, of course, always costs more.

Had a bit more of a play on the EuroCarParts site, and discovered you can see the range they stock without being car specific. (They have a branch quite close to me)

They do Triple QX 5 litres of concentrate for 13.55.

Then found the same stuff in a 20 litre container on Ebay for 40.99 with free delivery, so went for that.

They do

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I'd *guess* that the waterless might be some type of glycol. It isn't

*just* specific heat which matters, it is also latent heat of vaporisation (and, of course, boiling point which is why ammonia isn't much use to you!).

With a little bit of googling on any "chemical" product you can usually find an MSDS (materials safety data sheet) which will tell you something about the chemistry.

Reply to
newshound

That is clearly nuts!

Hmm, thanks for the info.

Reply to
Davey

This is from a forum (quoting MSDS)

Sierra: Propylene Glycol 94-96 %wt Water 3 %wt Proprietary Additives 1-3 %wt

Evans NPG+: Ethylene Glycol 66?70 %wt Propylene Glycol %wt not specified Water %wt not specified but from Evans webpage info it should be

Reply to
newshound

It's about 20% more to buy 10 litres of ready mixed compared with 5 litres of concentrate to mix 50/50. So depends whether you reckon it's worth paying the extra to be mixed with deionised/distilled water (as the ready mixed will be), or whatever comes out of your tap.

If you're in a hard water area and have a leak (so regularly topup) then it is arguable that ready mixed can prevent scale in your system - but I think you'd need a lot of topups to make a difference.

As I posted yesterday, it's 38.55 on clearance at ECP, in store or free delivery:

ECP have gone a bit nuts over free delivery recently. I ordered a couple of exhaust hangers, one was 59p the other 1.16, two of each, free delivery, total order about 4 pounds. The 59p one was out of stock in my local branch, otherwise I would have collected. They sent 2x 1.16 ones in a box about a foot cube delivered by courier. Then about 3 days later arrived the 2x 59p ones in another similar courier delivery. The same parts are

5.50 each with free delivery in their eBay shop.

Sooner or later the accountants are going to notice, but it's handy for the time being.

Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos

Not really. You need say three containers for the same amount as you'd get using concentrate plus your own water. And the transport and storage costs are higher too. Etc. So easy to work out how the end cost to you will be higher.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Ah - sorry. Missed that link.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Was really basing it on the Halford's price. The ready mixed was only slightly less than the old one for concentrate of the same size.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)