Anyone been watching 'The Garage' (discovery channel)

What a load of bollocks!!

Euan's (sp?) car packs up, and has a bent spark plug...... Right, so its dropped a valve then, and the engine's scrap. Seems pretty simple.

But not to Jock of course, he thinks the camshaft's broke where the f*ck does he get that theory from!

Some other 'expert' recons its the cambelt. Like yeah, the cambelt breaking does tend to make the pistons hit the spark plug don't it mate! And if they are as good mechanics as they make out, they would be able to tell from the sound of the engine turning over that the belt was broken.

And the best theory of all, its a broken piston ring, so we need to remove the sump to find the bits........ How the f*ck is a broken piston ring going to get past the piston, into the sump, or the combustion chamber??????????? The ring could be broken into 20 pieces, it would still stay in the groove.

So they spent ages pissing about with this engine, till finally they remove the head, and guess what, broken valve TING!!!!! Three 'mechanics', spend all day to decide that an engines scrap, you could have bought a new engine with the labour costs!!

Then the 'expert' mechanics go to the scrap yard, spend all morning pulling a lump.......... out of the wrong bloody car. FFS

Reply to
SimonJ

Had broken rings on a Triumph engine a few years back - one of the pieces carved a hole up the side of the piston and ended up sitting on top of it!

Reply to
R. Murphy

Careful, he might "come down & see you"

chamber???????????

Reply to
Dave Griffs

Nah, he only comes doon to see yoo if yoo sweare at hem doon the phone. 'Dunnae sweare at mee or ahl come doon and see yoo. (Jimmy)

Reply to
SimonJ

Reply to
Bhoy

"...would result in a valve being in a position where the piston could hit it, bend it/snap it and result in the sparkplug damage.

Also, if it was a non interference engine, it could turn over without any nasty noises."

What was the point, then?

Reply to
Ian Dalziel

If it was a banana, you could turn it over without nasty noises, too. It wouldn't have a broken valve, though. How could a piston hit a valve on a non-interference engine?

Reply to
Ian Dalziel

Ian Dalziel ( snipped-for-privacy@lineone.net) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Broken valve spring, broken valve...

Reply to
Adrian

Broken valve I'll give you - and I suppose a broken camshaft (!) might do that. Broken spring shouldn't make the valve go anywhere new, though, should it?

Reply to
Ian Dalziel

Ian Dalziel ( snipped-for-privacy@lineone.net) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Unlikely, unless there's a bit of cam flailing about, in which case, it should be easy enough to spot by peering in the oil filler cap and spotting the trail of wreckage...

Depends. It might allow it to protrude further into the combustion chamber than it normally does.

I didn't watch the program, and I have no intention of joining in the speculation as to how the engine featured in it was broken or the capabilities of the mechanics featured within the program - other than to point out that "It's cheaply made television, what the hell do you expect?"

Reply to
Adrian

Well it did fit in the end, though they did have to swap the sump.....

Reply to
john

It is possible. I've seen snapped cams, and usually the same damage as a cambelt failing.

I've seen belts snap, causing valves to bend/snap. Always nice when you take a head off to find the valve head wedged in the piston crown.

That really was a laugh. Maybe possible in extreme cases, but it ain't just going to happen driving down the road with no warning.

The best bit I thought was when they plugged in the diagnostic kit to see if that showed up any problems. FFS no electrical problem is going to cause the engine to knock like that.

The whole garage is a farce. Like the guy who's supposedly came from a BMW dealership, he certainly goes about things arse for tit - Car not running, and making funny knocking noises - lets check for any electronic faults, before checking the mechanics. Car running rough when hot - let's check all the mechanics first, before checking for diagnostic faults.

Then there's the safety. Lets dangle a couple hundred kilos of engine on the crane, then work directly underneath it. And talking about that engine, wet and dry to clean up the crank???

As for the anal whinger with the toolbox, the term 'all the gear and no idea' springs to mind.

I think the series should be renamed 'The Ranch'. It would certainly be far more accurate.

Reply to
Moray Cuthill

That was a bit extraordinary, wasn't it! Also the fact that they went out and bought a set of shells, and fitted most of them before they had even bothered to check if the crank was usable or not! Didn't see them bother to check the mains either, though it is possible they checked them off camera.

:-)

At least you know where not to take your car next time you are in Marbella!

Reply to
SimonJ

Ian Dalziel wrote on Wed, 01 Feb 2006 14:58:47 +0000:

Cue silence from Conor....

Reply to
David Taylor

Sorry, I have a life and was out visiting friends. I understand friends are a concept you can't grasp as you are a Billy Nomates.

See my reply about how a valve can drop.

Reply to
Conor

The message from Conor contains these words:

D'yer know, I've never had that happen when a spring breaks. When it's happened to me there's always been sufficient tension left to hold the collets nicely. In fact, 'cos I don't often rev engines hard the only times I've found a broken spring is when I've had it apart for other things as normally I can't tell.

Reply to
Guy King

Isn't that used these days to demonstrate lack of clue? :-)

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Conor ( snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

All becomes clear.

Reply to
Adrian

Er, yes. That's why it took me 13 hours before I replied again.

Reply to
David Taylor

I worked in dealerships in the 80's.

Reply to