Golf PAS?

My mum has got a P reg 1996/7 Golf automatic with power steering. She always was fairly lightly built and as she gets older (she's early 70's) she's finding the steering pretty heavy at parking speeds.

Is there anyway to increase the assistance for the steering?

I know I've had a couple of hire cars over the last few years (Corsa and Punto IIRC) that had switchable levels of assistance , but I think these were both fitted with electric assistance.

Any ideas for the Golf?

Thanks

Reply to
anon

AFAIK there is nothing that can be done to increase the power assistance. Everything is preset and non adjustable. If she can't live with it, best consider selling it for something with lighter steering. Having said that, it might help a little to slightly over inflate the front tyres. An increase of a couple of pounds might make the steering slightly lighter. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Oh, that's a good idea, I'd forgotten about doing that. She does do much other than "around town" so, I doubt it would seriously affect either road holding nor tyre life.

Reply to
anon

The message from "Mike G" contains these words:

New tyres often help, too. Or a different brand. Some are much heavier to steer than others.

Reply to
Guy King

Any recommendations? I'm guessing something steel belted and possibly "budget" as they tend to have a reputation for not being too grippy :)

Reply to
anon

The electric assistance in those was the pressure available within the electrically driven hydraulic assistance circuit, I believe.

The current Nissan Micra, Renault Megane and Fiat Stilo all have completely electric PAS and their steering is light, but I also understand that some of the older Proton cars (1.3 & 1.5) had extremely light steering. (Hydraulic PAS)

You could approach a co. that does conversions for disabled drivers - I've heard of Citroens being modified to have extra-light steering but I reckon a conversion won't be a giveaway.

Artie

Reply to
Arturo Ui

In Toyota Yaris, swivel front seats became available for people with disabilities from August 2003. Almost all Yarises in the UK have PAS too (the exception is the rare very early base model), the sort driven by the crankshaft, not by a separate electric pump.

Reply to
Lin Chung

As in 'Gunwharf'?

Artie

Reply to
Arturo Ui

Gandalf's Middle Earth (J.R.R. Tolkien's "The Lord of the Rings") is closer to the mark, I think. Looking up the history of Gunwharf Quays, I can see some similarities. :)

Reply to
Lin Chung