Anyone know a source of a decent test lamp?

I'm after a test lamp to figure out what is killing the battery on the other half's motor, but no-one seems to do them! I haven't got time/patience/inclination to knock up my own, so anyone got any pointers to a decent supplier?

Cheers

Hellraiser...........>

Reply to
Hellraiser

TBH, a multi-meter that is perfectly adequate for basic fault-finding on a car is so cheap now (a tenner or less) that it is probably not worth anyone making a test lamp.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Hellraiser ( snipped-for-privacy@nospam.blueyonder.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

A test lamp won't get you very far in diagnosis of something like that - a half-decent MultiMeter is what you need. Try looking at Maplins or Screwfix.

Reply to
Adrian

"Chris Whelan" wrote

, a multi-meter

Probably one of the most useful tools I own.

Reply to
Knight Of The Road

The message from Chris Whelan contains these words:

Though there are times when a popped fuse with a lamp wired across it comes in dead handy.

Reply to
Guy King

Trouble with a DVM is that they have a very high input impedance. So something like an unloaded switch or relay (on a faulty circuit) might read normal - but the resistance is causing voltage drop. A test lamp taking an amp or so can be very useful.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

2 for £5-99 at the moment...

Invest in some clip on probes too :-)

Tom Burton.

Reply to
Tom Burton

Toolstation.com have some at just a couple of quid, both powered and unpowered.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Cheers all, sorted now - just need some good weather....

Hellraiser..........>

Reply to
Hellraiser