Anyone know anything about air brakes?

Not 20ft.

Reply to
Conor

Well apart from, ooh almost any decent compressor ever made?

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Riight. I've not heard a quiet one.

Reply to
Conor

Hydrovanes are the most convenient single phase ones.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

In message , Clive writes

Absolutely! OTOH, Potato rammed onto his exhaust pipe would be the neighbour's problem.

Reply to
Gordon H

Try having a word with the environmental health people at your local council - you might be able to get it declared a statutory nuisance or something, and have them force the neighbour to park it somewhere else :-}

Reply to
Colin Wilson

That would be a good quiet one then :*)

I don't mind about the noise - the low frequency engine noise vibrates your skull all around the house as it is (it is a 1992 5.6L Iveco-ford Cargo with very little more HP or torque than my 1.9L common rail car).

At least you don't choke or get lung cancer from a noisy (electric) compressor. And it would only be for a couple of minutes until the pressure sensor shut it down, not the "turn it on and piss off and do something else for a while" method. Or the "tick over and rev it like a crack baboon at random" method.

Maybe I could find some local scrotes who would like to take it for a ride into a nice ditch somewhere... If he leaves the keys in and goes off somewhere else, it is his problem.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Smith

Make it /his/ problem - report him to the local council for making a statutory nuisance.

But also - isn't it illegal to leave a vehicle with the engine running? You can also try reporting him to the police for it.

Or pay a couple of kids from 2 streets away to remove the keys and drop them down the gutter.

Reply to
Jim Newman
[...]

No.From the OP:

"He leaves it ticking over *on his drive* for 5, 10, 15 minutes at a time."

It would only be illegal if it was on the road.

For what criminal offence?

Assuming he has no spare set, presumably?

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

No, yours. Criminal damage.

Reply to
Conor

That won't make much difference.

Reply to
Conor

I'm insured against potato damage.

Reply to
Gordon H

How about 4 counts of assault with a noxious gas, and 4 counts of wrongful imprisonment (since I cannot enter/leave teh house for 1/2 an hour without being assaulted)?

Funny you mention the police - when he got all aggressive, he said "what are you going to do about it?". I said I was going to phone the police, and report him for assault. He went mad and got his boots on saying he was going to start it up again. He never did though.

I will just leave it for now, and see if he runs it for a more appropriate length of time (i.e. until the buzzer goes off, and the brake will release). If he starts taking the piss, I will have a word with the local plod.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Smith

Good luck with that...

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Exhaust fumes from a vehicle don't count.

By all means but you will be told that it's a civil matter as it's on private property.

Reply to
Conor

Why not? Why does the source make any difference?

So you can assault anyone you like on private property? Tell that to Tony Martin.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Smith

Bob, you sound like a dick, just like your neighbour. You'd be better trying to patch up the relationship with him 'cos it'll cost you thousands off the value of your house when you sell up and have to disclose the facts...

Julian.

Reply to
Julian

I don't like breathing diesel fumes in my own house, so I am a dick? Fuck off and die.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Smith

Yes, an unreasonable one with the mental age of a twelve year old. I'd say that you and your neighbour are entirely suited to one another. I bet the people who live nearby piss themselves with laughter as the two adults behave like children and allow events to escalate out of all proportion. (Neither one of which has the ability to rub two brain cells together, act constructively and work towards a solution - solicitors just love twerps like you and the neighbour, such easy money....)

PS, great entertainment on the Usenet too :-)

Julian.

Reply to
Julian

Because the law says it doesn't.

You're not being assaulted you bell end.

Reply to
Conor