Punto Clutch Judder

My 2002 Punto 1.2 8v (65k miles)has had an odd juddering problem for over a year now.

During the winter it has been barely noticeable and all but went away. Now that the weather is getting warmer it is happening a lot more.

If the weather is cool when I first set out on a journey the clutch is perfectly smooth. However if I return to it after it has been driven and left for a few hours or if it is a warm day I get a dreadful judder as I bring up the clutch that shudders through the car. I have to dip/engage the clutch

3 or 4 times whilst keeping the revs up then the juddering eases and disappears completely for the rest of the journey.

Once on my way the clutch operates perfectly well with not a whiff of judder. I can hold the car on hills on the clutch at low/mid/high revs and it is fine.

I have no problem changing gear and the engine pulls nicely and feels smooth. Recently fitted new plugs/HT leads/oil change/brake shoes/pads/ air filter - It juddered before & continues to judder!

All I can think is that there might be some strange temperature related warping or release mechanism problem but I don't know where to start! Any help/suggestions on what might be happening would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Bob

Reply to
petejwilson

Might be your engine mounts.

Rob Graham

Reply to
robgraham

My Sierra does the same as this except all the time. I'd be interested on what might cause it.

Mark

Reply to
Mark

The most common causes of clutch judder are soggy engine mountings and oil on the plate due to a failed oil seal in the flywheel.

HTH

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

my sierra needed the flywheel skimmed to stop clutch judder. on rear wheel drive cars oil on the clutch is fairly rare but could also cause be the cause of clutch judder.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Could a worn spigot bearing cause this?

Mark

Reply to
Mark

Probably oil coming forward from a worn seal on the gearbox would be more common.

Rob Graham

Reply to
robgraham

not in my experience, the spigot bearing tends to make noise more than anything. generally if the gearbox leaks from its nose then it falls out through the drain hole in the extension that the release bearing runs on and doesn't reach the clutch. it is easy on a sierra to remove the rubber boot around the clutch arm and have a look at the edge of the clutch and see if it is black and gunky or dry and dusty as it should be. a sierra clutch would only take a half hour to an hour to get out and inspect . if the spigot bearing is still in one piece it will be ok, if it has broken up then the corresponding gear box shaft will have a wear groove

Reply to
Mrcheerful

It used to be quite common on rwd cars, because of leaking flywheel oil seals. It's rarer now because rwd cars are rarer.

Or maybe it's because I'm remembering rwd cars made in britain in the 70s, and what they did best was piss oil out everywhere, and break down if there was a Y in the day.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat