Anyone played with a Nissan Cabstar tipper?

Hi all,

As header really. Any weaknesses or things to look out for please?

Is there a 'good' model to look out for?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

the only ones I have seen have been very badly abused. Pykies like them.

Reply to
MrCheerful

Yeah, it seems they do get worked hard.

They do indeed (which strangely may say something positive about the vehicle) and it's believed it was they who took my BILs Cabstar a few years back. ;-(

Any idea why you see so many of this type of vehicle (on the likes of eBay) where they suggest it isn't roadworthy and would be good for export? Is it that if they are sent to say Africa, few people care how roadworthy they aren't ... or is it that they have the time and inclination to do them up over there?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m
[...]

They've been stolen?

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Well, yes, I did consider that as well but didn't think people would be that blatant (especially many showed a number plate. Not that that means much of course).

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

It was a tongue in cheek remark.

Best guess is as you suggest; the amount of work needed to get one through an MOT would not be cost effective, and I suspect that no such requirement exists in some third-world countries.

The type of vehicle you are asking about would only be seen as a tool, such as a cement mixer might. Consequently it won't have been shown much love in its life!

Add in to that the sort of conditions it would be operated in, and the likelihood would be that many of them are rusted beyond redemption.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Sure ... but there is a grain of truth etc ...

And that's ok of course (and something I'd probably take advantage of if I lived in the back of beyond, think Scrap Heap Challenge ) until something or one kills *you*. ;-(

True. For some of us they are all 'tools' and whilst I'd not abuse any machine unnecessarily, there are times where you may have to push things close to their limits or they suffer the consequences of actually being fully used [1]. I don't mollycoddle things either (cars especially). ;-)

And I don't suppose new OEM chassis are available as with some old Land Rovers etc?

Cheers, T i m

[1] I think the headlining of all my cars show the signs of some of thing things I've carried ... like garden waste or bulky items that were a tight fit. Not sure I could treat a brand new car like that of course ... and why I've never owned one (had a couple of company cars from new).
Reply to
T i m

I have a Suzuki Carry, and that doesn't get much love either, but it just keeps on going.

Agreed, that is certainly the thing to check (but relatively easy with a tipper, because many of the structural parts are exposed when tipped).

Reply to
newshound
[...]

The official workshop manual for old Landies had detailed engineering drawings for major chassis parts, so if you were near any sort of basic engineering facility you could get new ones made.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

I like how popular it is with manufacturers. It must hit a sweet spot with them (probably because it's particularly small and cute). ;-)

Apparently it's also called:

"Bedford Rascal Holden Scurry Maruti Omni Maruti Versa Mazda Scrum Autozam Scrum Ford Pronto Wuling Rongguang Daewoo Damas Chevrolet CMV/CMP

PakSuzuki Bolan Vauxhall Rascal Chang'an SC6320G Chang'an SC1011 Chang'an SC6331 Jilin JL 110C/E."

And often only a couple of chassis rails (well, the main bits anyway. like the ladder chassis on our kitcar).

OOI, any idea what weight they can carry and do you have the 3way tipper on yours (they look particularly handy). ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Excellent. We (daughter and I) always wanted an 'old Landy' but we (the Mrs and I) went for the 'Jeep' style kitcar as it was simpler, better to drive (on-road) and cheaper to run.

Cheers, T i m

p.s. A neighbours son bought an old series Landy on the hope he's have a cheap to run car. He found he couldn't get it insured so it's just been parked up ever since ('years' now). ;-(

Reply to
T i m

I often fancied an old Landie. Until I drove one. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)
[...]

Yep. Mate had a 110 V8 - it was a pig to drive on the road. I was really disappointed the few times I drove it. The turning circle was huge!

He was OK with it, but drove artics for a living...

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

I built up a 109 series three with the 2.25 petrol, it did everything I wanted it to do and more, 16 mpg whether it was empty or towing with equipment and 7 people in it, adequate performance for rural use, but not enough to feel safe on a motorway, bodywork rotted like mad though, it still runs and drives, I got it started within half an hour after 15 years standing still, the new owner likes it but still hasn't actually done anything with it after another three years.

Reply to
MrCheerful

One I drove was an early one but in good restored condition. So a small four cylinder engine. Dog slow and thirsty too.

When I was a teenager I drove a WW2 Jeep on an airfield. And thought it great. Hoped the Landie would be as much fun. But perhaps time fantasised my memories of that Jeep. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)