Are Service manuals a thing of the past - for VW anyway

It seems Workshop and service and repair manuals are a thing of the past for Volkwagons. For the VW Caddy van anyway. Can't even get a Haynes (better than nothing) doesn't exists. The Excellent Bently Service manuals also seem to be unavailable. I had one for my trusty bmw 325i years ago - described everything with real quality pics and text.

I guess the reason is that VW is trying to force everyone to go to a dealer for £££ repairs - or is that too cynical. I know we need tools to read the odb2 ecu's etc but still, it should be possible to do many diy things - but without a service manual, even finding what and where all the sensors are is a trial.

Reply to
dave

you can get a genuine wm manual for about 50 quid

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Manufacturers have not made paper manuals available for decades. Haynes will only produce manuals for those vehicles that are likely to be owner- maintained, and only then when a particular model has been on the road for more than five years.

Information needed by dealers is conveyed electronically. That way, it can be updated quickly, and is less likely to be copied.

Remember that dealers and manufacturers are not one and the same. Yes,manufacturers would prefer you to use a dealer, but not only for financial reasons. (Google 'zafira fire cause' for example.)

The only way to get basic information for a range of vehicles is Autodata. I'm given to understand it can be downloaded illegally, if your moral senses are OK with that.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan
[...]

One other option, again possibly not legitimate, is this:

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Well I bought my Bentley paper manual for bmw a few years ago but not decades. Ah "manufacturers" - yes true enough.

From that I assume its £££ :-)

Thanks - will take a look.

Reply to
dave

If you could pls let me know where from I'd gladly pay the £50.

Was just reading the woes from from guy in the US who spent some $300 for two DVD's full of junk (really). He's bought what should have been good info on Bently DVD's.

Reply to
dave

There's something called erWin

Also this from the main site

Adrian Caspersz

Have you checked Ebay? Plenty of illicit CD copies of BMW manuals on there. So I'd guess for other makes too.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I've been looking for one for my missus' new Volvo. Hasn't appeared yet.

Reply to
Dan S. MacAbre

Bentley were always a US publication, so were never available for non-US available vehicles. The VW Caddy isn't sold in the US, so there was never going to be one.

At the end of the day, the 04-on Caddy is a Golf V. There's a Golf V Haynes manual.

Reply to
Adrian