Asthmatic drive belt

Hi All, My car uses a poly vee belt to drive the alternator, PAS, aircon etc. At tickover speeds it wheezes and squeaks but quietens as engine speed rises. I am convinced that it is not a bearing and the auto tensioner is preventing the belt slipping.

A few drops of water stop the squeak immediately but soon dry off and the noise returns.

Is there a permanent cure? It is getting loud enough to hear from inside the car and make people look round when I'm waiting at lights.

TIA

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

a new belt will probably be the best cure. You could try some belt anti squeak spray from a car shop or a bearing shop, but it probably won't last too long.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

How many miles has the car done? Vee belt pulleys do wear, and when they do, can cause the noise you describe. The belt can get wedged in the vee, and have to be pulled out, rather than come out naturally. A new belt could stop it for a while, but if it's caused by a worn pulley it will probably come back as soon as the new belt beds in. Check the pulleys, particularly the one on the alternator. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

the op did say it was a POLY v belt, in effective terms their pulleys do not wear, but you do get sections of belt where the ribs have disappeared.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Just offering an alternative possibility. Yet another is that it can be caused by oil. If at some time an oil leak has put a small amount of oil on the belt and pulleys, it can be baked or hardened onto the pulley vees making them slightly sticky. Acts a bit like belt jam, and can cause the belt to squeak, if it's not removed when the leak is cured. OP doesn't say how old the car is. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

The message from "Mike G" contains these words:

Also, changing the tension slightly can often stop it squealing.

Reply to
Guy King

it is an auto tensioning belt (like most poly v serpentine belts)

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

The message from "mrcheerful ." contains these words:

Giving 'em a shove still helps sometimes.

Reply to
Guy King

Thanks to all for the replies. The belt is on a 70k mile pug 405. I have yet to find the auto tensioner. I think I have to remove the inner wing shield to access it from the offside wheel arch I have been dutifully carrying a spare belt for the last 20k miles as a precaution but I'm not sure that it is a roadside replacement as would have been a standard vee belt. I'll have a go at changing it if we get a fine day.

regards

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin