Re: ZX Diesel alternator belt

Well that was a waste of time, some basket case has rounded out all the

> allen bolts, can't move a damned thing.

Sure they are allen and not torx? Been caught that way myself a few times.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Thats a good question. I tried a torx socket, seemed to fit too, but slipped under pressure. The damage seems to be too great. Maybe a slightly over size torx socket on an impact driver is the way. I cant see deep enough into the heads of the bolts to be sure.

Reply to
Stuart Gray

Right - I reckon the wrong size torx would be obvious. Other thing is perhaps someone has used AF rather than Metric allen keys.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It might a splined socket instead of torx.

Peter

-- "Diamonds are what I really need - think I'll rob a store, escape the law, and live in Italy. Lately, my luck has been so bad, you know the roulette wheel, it's a crooked deal, I'm losing all I had."

Reply to
AstraVanMan

I was wondering about that, but the bloke I bought it off works for a Peugeot garage, surely not ??? I still suspect gratuitous use of the air hammer. He's a friend of a friend, and he's going to get some grief. Mind you, he was just selling it on from a "valued" customer.

Reply to
Stuart Gray

I pretty sure it's Allen bolts now, cos I managed to get one bolt out with an Allen key, but the Haynes manual does not specify Allen keys, but does specify Torx keys. Now well pissed off with the whole thing.

Reply to
Stuart Gray

An allen key will sort of work in a torx provided it's not too tight.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In message , Stuart Gray writes

Angle grinder/Dremel?

Reply to
mike. buckley

Hurray !!! done with an impact driver and the correct Allen head. Having a beer to celebrate.

Reply to
Stuart Gray