Astra 1.7DTI - Black, oily coolant

A 2001 Astra 1.7DTI, 95k, with nothing at all known about its recent history, seems to run OK (not tried it on a run) but its coolant is black and has an oily feel.

What would you do?

Leave it alone and hope for the best?

Straight coolant change, and see what happens?

Flush it out first? What with? A good squirt of Fairy Liquid and run till hot? Dishwasher detergent?

Stick it straight on ebay?

TIA

Albert

Reply to
Albert Ross

"Albert Ross" wrote in news:dqo3s7$on2$ snipped-for-privacy@news.freedomsurf.net:

The head gasket has gone. Personally, I would get it repaired and see how it runs afterwards. A blown head gasket would seriously reduce it's resale value, so you've nothing to lose by paying to have it fixed, as long as the rest of the car is OK. If you do decide to sell it on eBay, make sure you make it clear in your description that the head gasket has gone.

Reply to
Stu

Nope.

Nope.

Nope.

Nope.

All of the above don't tackle the root of the problem which could simply return - this could well be simpler than a head gasket, namely the oil cooler. Get the oil cooler looked at - could well have some sort of crack in it. Stop using it now while the coolant is still in liquid and not sludge form and get the oil cooler looked at. If that's suspect, then the HG should be fine. Does it run fine, with no loss of power or anything? Probably not the HG - you could get it pressure tested to be sure, but first port of call is the oil cooler - if that's the problem, get it replaced and drain and flush the coolant (if it's only a slight amount of oiliness I wouldn't worry too much about washing powder etc) and it should be fine.

Reply to
AstraVanMan

yep ive done loads of transits with this problem its allways the oil cooler ,we change it and all the hoses and the bottle and flush it out loads of times!! but i carnt remember if Astra DTI's have got have oil coolers

Reply to
ford_technical_

Two votes for oil cooler, one for head gasket. I hadn't spotted that these things have an oil-water cooler in the base of the oil filter, and I must say it seems a likely culprit, given that the thing starts fine, doesn't "chuff", and doesn't seem to be pressurising the coolant particularly. Sounds as though it might be a daft price, and a bit of a knuckle-scraper to change, but I'll have to do it. Any advice on the method of attack?

I've not even got the Haynes BOL yet - are the TIS CDs you can get from various ebay sellers any use? Anyone have a recommended source? I see the some vendors get negged for selling unusable copies of similar CDs.

Reply to
Albert Ross

hi i dont know if you sorted your problem out yet but the problem will be your oil cooler its a common fault with all 1.7 dti's & cdti's its nothing to worry about but you will need to replace the oil cooler & flush your system out with dishwasher tablets because its will cause damage to all your water hoses

Reply to
chinny

hi its not your head gasket its the oil cooler very common fault with all vauxhalls 1.7 dti's & cdti's nothing to worry about but will need replacing then flush the system with dishwasher tablets to brake the oil down or it can damage your water hoses the oil cooler on them is locatad just above the starter motor not the easyest of jobs to get at as there are a few pipes that get in the way it is held in place with torque bolts if you have any probs then email me craig snipped-for-privacy@.uk

Reply to
chinny