Possible long shot - Ford replacement keys?

Friend has just bought a 2 year old Focus, which came with only one key. Local key cutter can't cut this type, referred him to a Ford dealer, who won't help, because he only has one key! Any suggestions, please?

TIA

John

Reply to
John Moppett

The Ford Dealer will be able to cut a new key but will also have to charge an hour's labour to reprogram the PATS (passive anti theft) system to accept the new key. Expect this to cost £100-150 in total.

Once you have two keys you should be able to get Timpson etc. to cut new ones but then you have to program them yourself into the PATS system using the existing valid 2 keys. Moral of the story - never accept a Ford with only 1 key until you have negotiated the price of getting a new one off of the purchase price.

(This is how PATSII works - I assume it hasn't changed on Fords but someone might like to correct me)

Tony

Reply to
Tony Brett

Make sure he keeps the car in a locked garage or get them to change the keys used. Otherwise your friend might find his Focus has been stolen.

Reply to
Mark Hewitt

With PATSII, once you have got two valid keys you can use those to tell the system not to accept any other keys. It's called erasing the memory - all explained in the owners manual. Obviously old keys will still get people into the car but they won't start it.

Tony

Reply to
Tony Brett

Yup, but before that happens he needs to be careful. I've heard many a story of the only giving 1 key scam where they steal the car back using the other key.

Reply to
Mark Hewitt

A decent locksmith. Got 3 keys cut for a PATS II car for £65 a while back. All other keys taken off the memory.

Reply to
Doki

Yes but the locksmith cannot reprogram the PATS module, can (s)he? You still have to pay Ford to do that.

Tony

Reply to
Tony Brett

The one I went to did. Got a little machine that plugs into the socket in the passenger footwell. I had no PATS keys having lost my keys in Leeds. The AA broke me in, and the locksmith cut the key from a non-PATS spare I had.

Reply to
Doki

Thanks, Guys, looks like he's in for an expensive trip to the dealer, then. The only decent security firm in the area is the one that told hm to go there!

John

Reply to
John Moppett

Interesting. I had understood that only Ford dealers had the software required to do PATS reprogramming. Who was the locksmith?

Tony

Reply to
Tony Brett

Harfords in Dewsbury. I would think that there will be others with the same gear knocking around, but as it's very dear, not everyone will bother investing in it.

Reply to
Doki

I'd drive to a decent security firm out of the area and save £100 if I were him. Ring around the yellow pages and you'll find somebody who can do it.

Reply to
Doki

You could try Timpsons ? Last time I was in there they had a machine which could scan key chips and copy them - at least it worked on my Fiat, but a Ford might be different. (no central locking though !) Graham

Reply to
Graham