Hwy is it went you are looking for ideas for a newer car.....

There are bloody hundreds of them, but when you actually want to slap down some moolah, you find one, that might be a little dubious, is an import, and depending on the service record (which is temporarily missing) may need a cambelt/tensioner/waterpump change which makes it an uneconomical car for the age/mileage/price.

Bloody typical. I've been thinking about a nice manual VTEC prelude for about 4 months, and there were hundreds for sale everwhere, even several right on my doorstep. Now nothing, only one below my max price range, and loads of Autos, 2.0 and 2.3's.

First time I have actually had decent money to spend on a decent car, that is worth something, and actually maybe worth modifying should I choose to, and I can't find bugger all anywhere.

I compromised with the Estelle, wanted a 130 or a 136, only found a 120. I compromised with the Favorit, really wanted a Rapid. I compromised with the Saab, perfect would have been black with leather and aircon. Now I have the money, I'm not compromising again. If I go out and buy an MR2 or a Celica, or an MX6, I'll always wonder if I did the wrong thing, and somehow I think the Prelude 2.2 VTEC will be the better car, perormance and economy wise, without going for another turbo for a while.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

It's because you're actually seriously looking at them.

Always plenty of old clunkers around that look nice when you're browsing the ads, but when it comes to actually looking at them properly, then you find out just how few nice old cars there are out there.

Reply to
SteveH

Thing is, I never did actually look at any. But they were there. Now they aren't even there to look at.

local Auto trader seems to be full of nothing. I've pretty much set my heart on a Prelude now, but even among the Alfas,

The first seems OK, but I would imagine that a belt change at least would be needed.

145 Cloverleafs were around from about £1800 upwards, now i can't find anything local for less than £2500.

Most of the Sub 2k MR2's are Mk1's, and Celicas are older popup pre 90 models. Only car that seems a little more prevalent in decent nick and buyable is the MX6, and that is a Ford probe with a pretier dress on. Probably a very decent car, but I'm not sure it is different enough compared to a 4WS VTEX prelude.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Makes a mockery of the old 'Alfas depreciate' thing, really.

OK, they drop like a stone from new, but once they reach 5 years old they don't really drop any further.

Some of those 155 prices are seriously taking the piss, mind.

Have you tried phoning GTA Italian Car Sales to see what they've got ? - although if I went there, I'd come away with their lovely Alfetta.

Whatever you do, don't get tempted by a boxer engined 145/6, though.

Reply to
SteveH

Amen to that.

155's are out there for sensible money though, pop down to Mangoletsi in Holmes Chapel, offer 'em cash for a nice one. Just don't expect a warrantee if you get it cheap.
Reply to
Pete M

Seriously, I'd get down GTA and make an offer on this:

That's a very rare, very tidy and very well priced car.

I've even been tempted to take the 155 up there and try to get a deal.

Reply to
SteveH

In article , snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

I've looked at their website. Haven't seen anything I like that I could afford since that red 75 went a couple of months ago. That was nice.

If I go for a 145 it will be a cloverleaf, nothing less. Don't like the 146, reminds me of an escort gone wrong corssed with a

155.

155 looks good, 146 looks wrong.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

In article , snipped-for-privacy@blue-nopressedmeat-yonder.co.uk spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

That plum colured 155 looks amazing for the money, but the mileage is high for a 16v, so I imagine a belt change should be done on the way back from the test drive.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Before the test drive, I'd have said.....

That looks like a money pit to me.

Reply to
SteveH

In news:1gi663y.ymi5g61hrl4bgN% snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk, SteveH decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

Eh? The Cloverleaf always used the 2.0.

Reply to
Pete M

It didn't.

The twinspark came with the first facelift.

Before that the range was all boxer.

And, yes, there was a Greencloverleaf using the 1.7 16v engine.

Reply to
SteveH

I would love something like that, but the missus wouldn't go for it.

I would "lose Privileges" for even thinking it.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Pah!

Tell her it's your money and you'll spend it how you like......

Reply to
SteveH

I said that with the Audi - I was only going to buy one that was absolutely immaculate, 140bhp SE spec, with electric cream leather seats and cruise control. Well I got one with everything bar the electric cream leather seats - got the sports seats instead, which are nice, and got cruise control, but the cruise is an aftermarket system that's frankly a bit poo. Still, I found one in pretty much the best condition that I was likely to, short of getting in a Delorean and going back to 1996 and splashing out £25-30k. And I got myself a lovely set of 5-spoke A6 Quattro alloys today as well, which'll look great on it.

I've often thought of changing the A6 for a variety of other cars, including a 24v Senator, 24v Carlton Estate, BMW 525i Touring, a Rover 220D (new shape), a Metro GTi, a Nuvola Blue Alfa (any model, doesn't matter :-)), a Mk3 MR2, or anything else that crossed my mind, but I'd still never be happy. If I had something like a Senator I'd moan that the seats weren't supportive enough around corners (like I always moaned about with my Carlton which had Senator front seats). For any of the 200-ish bhp petrols I'd be moaning about the fuel economy. For any of the smaller ones I'd probably whinge about the lack of size. There's a few points I'd rather improve on in the Audi, but on balance whatever I might change it for would probably have an equal number of things I'd moan about, so I'll stick with it for now. That's my outlook anyway....

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Well, it is our money, the mortgage in joint names.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

I'm sorry, but that is friggin disgusting!

I'd kill myself before getting in that.

Andy R

Reply to
Andy

In news:cf4p46$1ru$ snipped-for-privacy@hercules.btinternet.com, Andy decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

It's the paint job that kills it for me.

Reply to
Pete M

I quite like the paint. Authentic 70s look, innit?

Don't really think I'd want to drive something like that daily, as I'd ruin it very quickly, and it's far too nice for that.

Reply to
SteveH

>>> taitalian&pageid=3&id=200428151537438>>>>

It was bad taste in the 70's as well though. I like Alfettas and Guiliettas, but that kind of two tone paint job is just too much. Looks like someone's tried to make it look like an Italian Cortina Crusader.

Heh, if you could find a way to drive it in one of those dehumidifying bubble things, you'd be laughing!..

Reply to
Pete M

You say that like it's a bad thing. I used to really like the Crusaders.

I'm pretty sure that paint is a factory option, and a very rare one at that - I can't remember the last time I saw a 2-tone Alfetta.

To be honest, I can't remember the last time I saw a tidy Alfetta full-stop.

Heh.

It's a shame, as I'd really enjoy owning a classic like that.

Is there any way to really stop one rusting in day to day use?

Reply to
SteveH