Astra 1.9 turbo diesel

My current ride is a 55 plate (Jan '06) Astra 1.9CDTi estate "Design" spec.

77k miles. Today, on the return journey of a run of about 5 miles, I stopped to get some diesel. All ok when I pulled back onto the dual carriageway. Moved out to overtake another car, clogging it pretty hard, and the power just dropped away ... The car with the spanner in it came on. It was still running perfectly well, just had no guts. Usually, the turbo flings you back in your seat. When I got home, I stopped the engine, then restarted it, and all was well. I took it back to the dual carriageway and hammered it for one junction, and it was all ok. Then I got off and headed up the hill back into the village, and it did it again as I was accelerating hard.

I then put the analyser on it and apart from the glow plug error that I knew it already had, I had a new problem - P0234 Power Train. Turbo / supercharger boost over-pressure condition. That seemed to go along with what had happened. Having a good look around the engine, I found a very thin stainless steel pipe coming from left to right across the front of the engine, joined to a thicker metal pipe at right angles and fixed to the top of the engine, heading to the back. The join was made by a short length of rubber hose with a woven cloth exterior, and it was split where it went onto the thicker pipe.

I found a piece of plastic pipe that would fit both sides as a temporary measure, and took it out again. This time, no problems no matter how hard I clogged it. In fact, I would have to say that it felt better than it has in a few weeks, so it looks like that was the problem. But just for curiosity's sake, does anyone know what that pipe is for ? Maybe something like boost pressure sensor ? Rechecked fault codes, and nothing in there now.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

if it is a leaking vaccum pipe then it could throw up all kinds of faults (except for low vacuum !)

Reply to
MrCheerful

It might well be vacuum. I went back out a while ago to put the cover back on the top of the engine and the bit of pipe I put on has partially collapsed. I guess that's because it is somewhere that will get quite hot, and the pipe being plastic will soften and then get sucked in. I haven't got time to go hunting down a proper piece of pipe at the moment, so I've just ordered a length off eBay. Less than three quid delivered first class, so probably cheaper than the time and diesel wasted to go looking. Should be here by Tuesday, and I haven't got to go far between then and now.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Could it be an EGR pipe? Passes hot exhaust gas back to the intake.

Reply to
rp

"rp" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@ouse.infohit.me.uk:

Nope. This is a thin (4mm) stainless pipe, joined to a slightly thicker pipe by a bit of rubber hose. EGR stuff is at the back and much bigger / hotter than this ...

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily