Astra cool running

Hi Astra estate 1.6 auto runs cool all the time. The gauge is in the blue allmost all the time. The only time it rises is in very slow stop start driving, The fuel consumpion is poor, luckly to get 300 miles mixed motoring from 50l. The heater works fine. Is there a problem or just the gauge under reading. thanks Mike Cole

Reply to
Mike

How old is it?

Sounds like the temp sensor has gone. If that feeds the injection, it will be running rich (as for a cold start) all the time, hence the lousy consumption.

Reply to
PC Paul

It's 1997 with 59000 on the clock Mike

Reply to
Mike

Please have some knowledge before you answer the question.

The OP should check and replace his thermostat to restore correct running temp, which will have a massive effect on mpg into the bargain.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

I did think about that but when *my* 94 Astra Thermostat went the heater didn't warm up to more than lukewarm ever, so I went on to the next possibility.

Always willing to entertain other possibilities though. That's the joy of the IntarWeb thingy.

Reply to
PC Paul

"Mike" wrote

Is there a problem or just

How long have you had the car? If "not long" then the thermostat may be missing. Beware, this may have been done to mask a more serious problem.

Reply to
Knight Of The Road

Probably the stat needs replacing. Engine runs cool, ECU thinks its not warmed up so riches the mixture and hey presto ....

NB I think the stat is behind the timing belt ....

Reply to
R. Murphy

thanks everyone. I'll get on to replacing that thermostat for starters

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Other option other than stat is that someone's fitted a silly fan switch that cuts in at a lower temperature than standard.

Reply to
Doki

Good luck - I asked small garage to replace my thermostat with similar symptoms to yours (on same vehicle) when renewing cam belt. Said they couldn't do it without ruining the thermostat cover bolts which had seized. (My engine ran at correct temp to start with.)

Reply to
Malcolm Stewart

Last time I changed a thermostat, I replaced the housing mounting bolts with studs and nuts. Of course that guaranteed the thermostat would never fail again...

John

Reply to
John Henderson

I am just about to change the stat, so the qustion is, where is it fitted? is it under the cam belt cover? P reg 1997 model 1.6 8 valve

Mike

Reply to
Mike