Diesel Astra tacho/engine hunting problem?

Hi,

I've got a V-reg 1.7 Astra diesel estate that's developed a weird fault; after about 5-6 miles driving from cold (temp gauge about normal - 80C) the tacho reading drops to zero and the engine oil and engine fault icons come on. Also, engine power drops off and on tickover the engine hunts between about normal and almost stalling in about 3 second cycles. Have checked all obvious electrical connections and fuses in case it's something intermittent, but no joy. After cooling down for a couple of hours all goes back to normal until the engine has warmed up again. No sign of overheating if the engine is run after the fault appears.

Sounds like an ECU fault to me, but any ideas out there?

Cheers,

Roger B

Reply to
G9BF Calling!

Could possibly be a failing crankshaft position sensor, or the injection pump ECU failing (although they normally just stop working). Easiest option is to take it to someone to get the fault codes read, otherwise you're just guessing as to what's wrong.

Reply to
M Cuthill

Have the codes read first, but I would be going for a failed CAS first.

Tim.

Reply to
Tim..

PS- If you can easily access the CAS with the engine running in its lumpy state, spray the CAS with some chiller / WD40 / Brake cleaner. If it suddenly idles smoothly again, replace the CAS.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Hi All,

Thanks guys,

I guess it's off to the dealer and see what the computer says!

Thanks for your help,

Roger

Reply to
G9BF Calling!