Mondeo problem Maybe?

Hello,

I have a 2.0 Ghia X Auto Mondeo registerd in Oct 2000. Its the smiley face one.

It runs just fine no problems at all right through the rev range.

However, I recently noticed that if I rev the engine whilst in Neutral at around 4000 rpm the engine makes a sound like a nasty misfire. Under load it is perfectly OK.

Is this a fault and if so what is it likely to be, or is this some kind of rev limiter to stop engine damage?

Regards Mark

Reply to
Mark

This may be to prevent you from engaging D at high engine speeds. I seem to recall launching with 4,000 rpm from neutral in a Mondeo... *cough*

Reply to
DervMan

Plugs and leads. Proper Ford ones, not Halford cheapos. Zetec's use a really high voltage and go through high tension leads like nobodies business. I'm sure someone will also be along with the correct plug gapping too. Think it's 1.1mm instead of 1.3mm.

Reply to
Sandy Nuts

In news:dpu65d$2b0$ snipped-for-privacy@nwrdmz02.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com, Mark wrote something quite bizarre, possibly in an effort to confuddle the world. It went like so;

It is, as you state, a limiter to stop damage. To the auto box, not the engine.

Auto boxes and torque converters don't like being revved in neutral or park, to prevent people doing just that lots of manufacturers now fit limiters.

It's a really bad idea to rev autos unless they're in drive / 3 / 2 / 1. I'd recommend not doing it any more...

Reply to
Pete M

In this case, no.

The Mondeo Mk1/2/3 with the auto box all have a rev limiter set to ~4000rpm when in neutral. Perfectly normal behaviour for the OP's car.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Ah, fairy nuff.

Reply to
Sandy Nuts

"Pete M" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@usenet.zapto.org...

but what about diesel autos and the mot test? the ministry say it is safe!?

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

In news:7pzwf.23448$ snipped-for-privacy@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk, mrcheerful . wrote something quite bizarre, possibly in an effort to confuddle the world. It went like so;

That is in regards to diesels, so I don't care about 'em.

Diesels, man... satans own....

Reply to
Pete M