Astra engine management question.

While reversing my car at lunch time today my foot slipped right of the clutch causing the car to do the worst kangaroo I have ever had (including when I was learning). After a couple of seconds of bumping and lurching I switched the engine off (seemed liek a plan at the time). Now the car starts fine and seems to be none the worse for wear but the engine management light stays illuminated all the time.

Anyone got any idea what I might have done to my poor little car? :-(

Reply to
Mario Lanza

maybe pulled a wire off the engine. have a look. if no joy get the code read

Reply to
MrCheerful

May be like a recent post on ABS system if car was still moving when you turned it off.

Someone else will know for sure but I think you can clear Vauxhalls by disconnecting the battery for half an hour although you will have to drive it gently at first until the ECU learns its settings again.

Depending on age you may be able to do the paper clip trick to read the codes.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Edwards

disconnecting the battery for half an hour although you will have to drive

Why on earth do you need to drive it gently????

Reply to
Matt

I found another post saying turn the ignition on and off 25 times to clear the error light. I was a bit sceptical but tried it anyway.. It worked!!!!! Have done about 50 miles since the incedent and the car isn't doing anything unusual and seems to be performing as normal.

Reply to
Mario Lanza

If the fault is not continuing then it will clear after a certain number of start ups without incident, I thought it had to be started and run, but obviously not. A common cause of intermittent fault lights on astra and corsa particularly is the use of supermarket petrol, which is sometimes of such a low quality that the knock sensor detects it. driving gently to use up the cheap fuel and a change to good stuff can do the trick.

Mrcheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful

I'm kind of hoping that it just got a bit confused because in my panic to stop the car bouncing round the carpark I just switched the ignition off (like I said before it seemed like a good plan at the time). I can't imagine I did any more damage than a stall or a learner kangarooing would do! It didn't seem to switch itself to emergency limp to the garage mode.

Reply to
Mario Lanza