Astra headlight problem

Hi,

My '91 Astra's left headlight is currently behaving in a strange way. Sometimes, when I switch the headlights on, the beam is angled down too low, and I can see on the road where it is aimed (and it isn't very far in front!). Even with full beams, the light is still clearly angled predominatly at the road. This makes driving on motorways and things particularly hazardous. The thing is, it doesn't always do it, and when I've checked to make-sure the lamp(s) are correctly fixed in place, they are. So what could be causing the problem? It's now been like this for four days (usually doesn't go on for that long) and I don't really like driving around at night because of this -- and it's probably illegal too.

Is there anything I can do? Should I try adjusting the beam aiming manually, or is this something worth going to a garage for, as is recommended? Because, sure, they can get it /just/ right, but surely I can tell if it's going to be shining at oncoming cars, etc. anyway?

Or does anyone else have any ideas of what could be causing it, aside from having to change the aim of the headlight -- which in itself seems a bit pointless, as I don't see how that can be the cause, and if the problem then solves itself again, and the beam aims up more, because I'll have changed the aim, it'll now be /even/ higher and will definitely be shining directly at oncoming cars.

Any help would be greatfully received!

Reply to
awyawy

If the beam adjustment is done from within the lamp unit, I'd say a pivot has broken or come adrift. It may or may not be possible to fix this - if the glass is removable, it might just be. Otherwise, it's new unit time.

On my SD1, the reflector has one pivot and two adjusting screws. The pivot is a push on ball type. Putting to much pressure on the bulbholder when removing that can push the entire reflector off that pivot.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Hi Dave, Has the car had a 'ding' on the bumper (I found on my wife's car after a non-insured A*se rear ended it into a Jag) the bumper had moved back 1-1.5". NOTE Astra's use the back of the bumper as the stop for the head lights !!! [Solution remove the H/Light assembly and cut away the back edge of the bumper and cable tie it forward] otherwise it would not pass the MOT !!

Regards Steve

Reply to
Stephen Leaver

No - the headlight assembly hasn't moved. It's adjusted by moving only the reflector within the unit - as many are these days. And the reflector pivot can break, which would account for the setting changing of its own accord.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)