Electrics mixed up...

My new (to me) Golf Mk 3 CL is going well, and I'm very happy with it, but I got a surprise last night regarding the electrics.

It seems that if you brake while you are indicating, the indicators stop - until you release the brakes!

Also, just to the right of the steering wheel is a foglight indicator, this glows (orange) whenever the brakes are pressed.

My friend and I tried the various other lights which all worked, but in combination, produced similar scary results.

Not that its relevant but the car was MoT'd just a few days ago.

I'd like to try and sort this out myself, but I'm sure if that's possible.

Could these results be caused by somebody bodging connectors in one of the rear lights? :-/

As ever :) any help appreciated.

Cheers.

All the best, Angus Manwaring. (for e-mail remove ANTISPEM)

I need your memories for the Amiga Games Database: A collection of Amiga Game reviews by Amiga players

Angus Manwaring

Most likely a faulty earth connection.

Biggles

Reply to
Alan Shilling

Bad earth on the rear light clusters.

Reply to
Conor

Reply to
Gary Millar

Earth faults very rarely get bad enough to stop indicators working. I'd guess somebody has put the stop/tail light in wrong or it's a faulty bulb.

John

Reply to
John Greystrong

Oh they do get that bad especially when both rear clusters share a common ground wire.

Reply to
Conor

Oh yes, been there done that, lots of times.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Stanton

If all the lights share a common ground as is usual, removing that ground makes them end up effectively in series - so the flashers will make other lamps light as well, but at lower brightness. Similarly the brake lights, etc.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It should not have passed an MoT in that condition.

Most likely explanation is that someone has put a single pole bulb in a dual pole holder.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

What, the indicators stop flashing altogether? I've never seen that before. Other lights flashing as well but that's not what I or the OP said.

John

Reply to
John Greystrong

Nobody said it did.

Unlikely to affect the indicators.

Its an earth fault on the back lights

Reply to
SimonJ

Normally Fords are very prone to this problem

Reply to
John

yes, the op said: "Not that its relevant but the car was MoT'd just a few days ago."

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

On 28-Aug-04 10:27:24, Conor said

Many thanks for the helpful posts, chaps.

By fiddling around with the passenger side, rear light cluster, I seem to have cured the problem (for now at least).

Unfortunately, my front fog lights don't seem to work at all. Any idea if this would be related, or might it be a blown fuse?

All the best, Angus Manwaring. (for e-mail remove ANTISPEM)

I need your memories for the Amiga Games Database: A collection of Amiga Game reviews by Amiga players

Angus Manwaring

RTFP

Reply to
SimonJ