Astra rear wheel bearing

Hi,

can someone tell me if there should be a certain amount of play in the rear wheel bearing of a Mk4 Astra 1.6. I was doing some pre mot checks on the car and noticed that there was a certain amount of play in the rear bearings when I applied side rocking pressure on the wheels with the car jacked up. There is no rumbling or noises from the bearings and I've been told that there should be some play. If this is so, how do I measure it to see if it's worn or not?

cheers

Reply to
Tank

Is there play top-to-bottom too? If not then it could be something else. Some play is OK. I'd say *just* enough to be noticeable is alright but any more is no good. I can't remember if the bearings are adjustable or not.

Reply to
adder1969

Early astras had a warning on the grease cover that there must be PLAY. I'm not sure how long this continued. If it's the traditional type of a pair of taper roller bearings, adjust up till no play is felt, then back off about

1/4 turn or less. Try this several times, spinning the wheel/hub each time to settle the bearings, until you're happy with it.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

Seems to be a sealed arrangement with no kind of adjustment and a pretty expensive job for a garage to change. Got a quote today of £160 including parts for one side. I don't want to put the car in for it's mot with the chance of it failing on this. Surly there must be a way of measuring the wear in the bearing??

cheers anyway guys

Reply to
Tank

its hard to quantify the play without actualy feeling it myself, but usaualy the sealed ones have no play at all, but you are allowed some freeplay for the mot, why not ask the garage to check it before you book the mot.

Reply to
reg

What's the deflection of the edge of the wheel when you rock it? 1/8"?

1/4"? 1/2"?
Reply to
adder1969