Astra vibration

I've recently written on another news group about a problem I have experienced with an H reg Astra diesel [fitted with the 17 D engine] estate car.

The original problem was a rattling exhaust and kangarooing when accelerating and de-accelerating, this was then eventually accompanied by grinding and vibration at low speeds, almost as if something was rubbing .

The original mechanic who put it through its MoT suggested that the rear engine mount had gone soft, I replaced this and sure enough it was infinitely better as regards the kangarooing.

However the grinding and vibration complete with rattling exhaust [the vehicle body resonating at anything below 30 miles an hour] persists, although the engine tick-over appears to be normal, and at speeds above 30 the car appears to run quite well.

I don't know if anyone can remember back that far, but the grinding sensation is not unlike an unbalanced prop-shaft, I really don't know where to start looking other than the wonder if it could be connected with the other two engine mounts.

TIA for any help.

Reply to
Orange

duff and the vibration from the car is being transferred to the bodyshell, have you tried shaking the engine around . Sometimes with the power on the engine moves back so that some part is rubbing on the body which is not obious when the car is at rest . I would check all the rest of the mounts for looseness and wear. steve the grease

Reply to
R L Driver

Thanks Steve, I'm assuming it's difficult to tell if an engine mount is actually faulty, as the old rear engine mount didn't look any more distressed than the replacement, or even feel any different when I flexed the rubber.

Likewise on visually checking the other mounts they appear to be quite solid and intact, also when trying to rock the engine manually it doesn't budge an inch.

However the new rear mount 'did' make a considerable improvement, so I suppose that the only real way of finding out will be to actually replace them.

Reply to
Orange

Sadly that's normally true. You can get somebidy you trust to let the clutch up with handbrake on & watch ho wfar the engine moves but unless you've seen a good one to compare it with that doesn't really help

Reply to
Duncan Wood

accompanied

Thanks [belatedly] Duncan for your input, however methinks that this is a job that will have to wait until after Christmas for better weather, especially as today is the shortest day and from now on things can only improve.. hopefully!.

Reply to
Orange

Does that make the longest night last night or tonight or both?? Hubby wants to know - he is pondering this one...............

Gaynor

Reply to
Gaynor