Astra - water in brake fluid

Two of my mates who both have Astra's (1995 & 1996) have found the brake fluid with water. Is this a common problem with the Astra's and why does it occur?

If it is a common problem can I get Vauxhall to fix it?

Thanks

Reply to
Scooby Doo

Well if you've never changed the brake fluid then it will have water in it.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

IIRC its due to water running down the scuttle and pooling around the brake fluid reservoir. VX issued a re-call for it.

Matt

Reply to
**-**

Cheers Matt. Whats the remedy to the problem - change the brake fluid every two years or is there something else that can be done? What did Vauxhall do as part of their recall?

Thanks again

Reply to
Scooby Doo

Err... you should really be changing the fluid every two years anyway!

Cheers

Dave P

Reply to
David Precious

The recall involved checking the boiling point of the brake fluid, then changing the reservoir cap and the fluid if the boiling point was too low. If the boiling point was within spec, then just the cap would be changed. There should be a white paint dot somewhere on the reservoir, cap or master cylinder if the mod has been done, as well as a vehicle rework certification barcode sticker somewhere on the bonnet slam panel. The newer type of reservoir cap was black I think.

This recall came into effect at least 2 years ago, and i would be very suprised if all affected cars hadn't been reworked by now. Letters were sent to all Mk3 Astra owners using DVLA records.

HTH

Anthony Remove eight from email to reply.

Reply to
Anthony Britt

I know for a fact they haven't all been done because we still see them occasionally!

Take the car to your local Vauxhall dealer and they will check. If it hasn't been done you will probably get a free brake fluid change!

If it has been done ask them for a price for changing it. They will probably do it while you wait at a decent price.

Having said the above, brake fluid is hygrscopic (absorbs water easily) and should be changed every two years regardless of mileage.

Reply to
Alan