Audi 80 1.9Tdi 1994 Water Pump change.

Hello The water pump on my Audi has just given up the ghost, I've ordered a new one, any hints on fitting. How much of the front end has to come off? Any help gratefully received. Nix

Reply to
Nix

Ok the radiator's off, looks as if that could do with replacing, what else do I need to order/replace. Car has 210,000, I've had it for nearly two years, it's been spot on until today !!!

Reply to
Nix

Ok the radiator's off, looks as if that could do with replacing, what else do I need to order/replace. Car has 210,000, I've had it for nearly two years, it's been spot on until today !!!

Reply to
Nix

Definitely the cambelt if it drives the water pump (which I'm almost certain it does), and also all tensioners to do with the cambelt, and you may as well do the aux drivebelt (often referred to as the fan belt - drives PAS/alternator etc) as there'll probably be at least one or two bits that you'll have to take off to do either belt, so it makes sense to do both. You'd do well to replace any tensioners/pulleys relating to that belt as well, saves hassle later.

All depends how long you're planning on keeping the thing - if "a fair while", then you might as well do all of the above, and any hoses that look a bit past their best.

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Cambelt & tensioner service

Reply to
Duncanwood

Thanks Boys, Cam belt doesn't seem to drive the water pump on this model, I don't have an engine manual so am reluctant to disturb cam belt in case I lose the timing. I was going to change it before christmas, wanted an A6 diesel Quattro but couldn't find one, so decided to keep this a bit longer........Oh well. Thanks again, Nix

Reply to
Nix

Ok,Ok, I've taken your advice and ordered a manual with the spares, I know you're right really! The water pump turned up yesterday and that seems to have gone on nicely... we'll see when I start it! Thanks for the responses, AstraVan Man and Duncanwood, it really helped. Nix

Reply to
Nix

No probs. Make sure you don't leave an air lock in the cooling system when refilling it.

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Aah yes, bet I'd be mighty upset then!!! I have reassembled and taken car for a spin, had the obligatory 1 spare screw and washer but otherwise, touch wood, all seems fine. In the end just marked sprockets and replaced as was - timing seemed ok before, seems ok now! Thanks Pete, to anyone else doing this job, if you change the radiator at the same time you will not get a fibre washer (i/d 24mm) for the thermostat, presumably that comes with the thermostat, and you will need one, grrrrrrrrr. Nicky

Reply to
Nix