E reg Golf cooling problems

Hi all

I am not the world's greatest DIY mechanic, and am having some problem diagnosing a cooling problem on our E-reg golf.

The mechanic (the real one, who appears to be on holiday!) recently replaced the heater hoses as they had become clogged and we were getting no heat inside the car. Since then, the gauge (sp?) shows that the car is overheating (into the red when the other half was driving! I hope the head gasket hasn't popped!).

I've replaced the thermostat and tested the original (it was ok). From what I could tell, the water pump seems ok, but I'm on thin ice here.

Reading on the internet, it could be the pump, or a blocked radiator. Now, how can I tell which? Symptoms are: temperature beyond normal (I won't let it go into the red), fan not turning on top radiator pipe warm/hot bottom pipe cold top of radiator warm/hot bottom (no big surprise) cold, as is the pipe where the radiator fan switch is housed.

How can I further diagnose the problem?

Thanks JS

Reply to
John Smith

If the top of the radiators hot, the bottoms cold & tha cars warmed up to overheating whilst stationary your radiators clogged, try attaching a hosepipe to the top & see what comes out the bottom.

Reply to
Duncanwood

And whilst you are having fun (!) diagnosing your cars problem, I used to have a 'G' reg Golf and experienced problems with the heating, cooling and coolant loss - turned out that one of the core plugs had rusted through - it was a pain to fix but was far cheaper than a head gasket to sort!

Artie

Reply to
Arturo Ui

Hi Artie

What is a core plug? Part of the radiator?

Yours Ignorant John

Reply to
John Smith

The message from "John Smith" contains these words:

In the sides of the engine casting are several holes left from the manufacturing process. These are machined out nice and round, then filled with a thing like a beer-bottle cap only without the crinkly edges. That's a core plug.

Reply to
Guy King

Thanks Guy. I'll look around.

Reply to