Audi 80 Wheel bearing

A friend of mine has an Audi 80 estate W reg I believe 120k on the clock. He's always had it serviced by a local (to him) garage and recently they told him his rear wheel bearings were loose. Apparently they tightened them up but since then he's noticed a humming noise. He's now done about a thousand miles like this but he's getting a bit concerned. I know nothing about Audi bearings so is it possible to overtighten rear wheel bearings?

Reply to
malc

Yes if they're adjustable, & if they're loose they're often on the way out anyway. Unless it's a 1979 Audi 80 though they're not adjustable & there isn't anything to tighten up. Well aprt from the bloody great 14mm bolt down the centre & that really shouldn't come loose.

Reply to
Duncan Wood