Mondeo rear wheel bearing - easy?

I've misplaced my Haynes manual and noticed that one rear wheel bearing of t'wife's Mondeo estate (W reg Mk2) has way too much play. Anyone know if these are straighforward to replace (or tighten up?) without a manual, or should I turn the garage upside down trying to find that damned thing?

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

Nothing too hard. The wheel bearing comes as a complete hub assembly so=20 nowt to press in or out. Needs a 32mm socket for the hub nut.

=A337.89 inc delivery:

--=20 Conor

I only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't=20 looking good either. - Scott Adams

Reply to
Conor

And a breaker bar with an elephant sat on it?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Now now, Conors been playing nicely for hours.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

May I suggest 3 shredded wheat for breakfast tomorrow?

Reply to
Conor

No. It would spoil the fried mammoth I normally have.

I was just remembering the fun undoing a Montego front hub with a nut approx that size.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Mondeo rear hub is only done up to 70nm, so not tight at all compared with the front for instance at 290 !!!

Montego was 203 and 68, so not radically different on the rear at least.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Ah, I'd better add that to my shopping list then - unless I can persuade a 1 1/4 AF to fit...

Thanks for looking it up, but unfortunately that's for a saloon without ABS. It appears that hubs for estates with ABS are a lot dearer.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

After having done a Maestro front hub, I know where you're coming from.

Reply to
Conor

Quick update: You were all wrong! (I guess you were thinking of the _front_ bearing.) There was no hub nut at all, just 4 torx headed bolts accessed through a hole in the hub. Had to do it in a hurry on Saturday after the noise level went up to 11. Stupidly, I hadn't got around to buying a replacement so had a small panic when the local Ford agent wanted 218 quid + VAT! Luckily, Unipart had one in stock for 89 + VAT which was somewhat less painful and no dearer than any I'd seen on the 'net. Job went smoothly enough.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

and what torque did you do them up to?

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Dunno. I just added a few drops of Loctite and did them up as tight as I dared.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

Mr Haynes says if it's the drum brake version you wanted 45-54Nm, if it's the disc brakes then the splash shield wanted 90Nm. The disc only has three bolts so I assume it's the drum you have.

Bit weird that AFAICS that backplate is what takes all the braking effort, yet it gets less force than the disc splashguard that doesn't take any...

Reply to
PCPaul

Must be the wrong Haynes then. This has disc brakes and 4 bolts, which pass through the splash shield - i.e. it's sandwiched between the hub's flange and the carrier. There's no way little bolts (Torx 50) like that could take 90Nm. To clarify, this is a late model Mk2 Mondeo estate with ABS. Rear hubs on these are not compatible with the saloon or any others, as I found out when buying one.

But thanks for looking it up.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

Willy Eckerslyke gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Little? T50's ginormous by Torx standards - 9mm across the points, and specced for 132 to 158Nm torque. The standard would be for that to have an M10 thread, which'd normally be a 17mm hex head.

Adrian

65nm is listed for the bolts on the estate
Reply to
Mrcheerful

65 is listed for the hub on the estate, but there is also mention of 90nm for back plate to hub on the rear (no mention of estate though) [autodata]

Who knows, do it up tight and leave it alone.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

"Mrcheerful" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

...is the right answer. A grunt and a fart.

Reply to
Adrian

Hmm, that doesn't sound right. Perhaps I'm getting my mumbers wuddled and it wasn't a 50. Never mind.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

65's in the order of 50 lb/ft in real money. Probably about what I gave it then.

Exactly my intention. I'd given it some Loctite too for good measure, so it should outlive the rest of the car.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke