audi cabriolet 2000

hi

think of geting a 5/6 year old cabriolet. thinking of 2.8 engine manual gears

anything worth looking out for as potential problem area ?

thanks

Reply to
robin

I've now had two - a 2000 model (company car - yay), and now a 2005 which I bought myself. They're absolutely great cars - pretty much bulletproof. The engine is great, manual transmission has a nice MX-5 style feel to it, and the body, being galvanised is going to last quite a while too.

The only problem I find is the cloth roof - chavscum have slashed mine twice now - once right in front of me. Not a lot you can do if some git is wielding a knife in front of you.

That said, the roof's components is mostly the same as in many other current convertibles - Saab, Vauxhall, BMW etc so parts are surprisingly inexpensive. The roof mechanism, just like in the other three I mentioned, is foolproof - works perfectly every time.

The main mechanical difference between the 2000 and 05, in my experience, is that there is slightly more body flex in the older machine. Nothing horrible, but it is noticeable if you push the car hard. The older car was also slightly more enthusiastic about drinking petrol, and the brakes slightly less effective, but nothing that I would call a deal-breaker.

Only other problem is that they hold their value fairly well, so good luck finding a cheap/good with a full service history and low mileage.

Reply to
David Field

thanks David

glad you mentioned mx-5 as i had one till the summer, (great car) but need the bigger audi now.

they seem very solid cars, i think i have found a good one, waiting to see it now.

shame about your roof, there is always some tosspot out there !

thanks for your help

robin...

Reply to
robin