Wheel cylinder overhaul

Having now fitted new wheel cylinders (see recent Corroded brake pipes thread), do I chuck the old ones out, or is it worth buying a repair kit to overhaul them and keep them as spares.

Or should I find something better to do with my time

Reply to
Paul S

Paul S ( snipped-for-privacy@anyone.plus.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Yes.

No.

Yes.

Let's put it this way - how old were the old ones, and how expensive? Exactly.

Reply to
Adrian

The message from snipped-for-privacy@anyone.plus.com(Paul S) contains these words:

Apparently they make good cylinders for Sterling engines. Minus the seal, of course.

Reply to
Guy King

Looking back through the service records, 1 was fitted Feb 99 (40k miles since) and the other Feb 00 (30k miles), so not as old as I had originally thought.

Reply to
Paul Simon

Looking back through the service records, 1 was fitted Feb 99 (40k miles since) and the other Feb 00 (30k miles), so not as old as I had originally thought.

Reply to
Paul S

Are you twins?

Reply to
shazzbat

The message from snipped-for-privacy@paulhsimon.plus.com(Paul Simon) contains these words:

That sounds like there's more water in the brake fluid than there should be.

You did actually flush it through, didn't you?

Reply to
Guy King

I'm not sure what you mean (about more water ....).

I pumped about a litre of brake fluid through the system, although probably only a quarter of that once I'd fitted the new wheel cylinders. I didn't re-bleed the front after fitting the cylinders, but did have a clamp on the rear flexi hose whilst fitting them.

Of course, it's always possible, the previous owner was charged for new wheel cylinders that were not actually fitted ?!!!!

Reply to
Paul S

The message from snipped-for-privacy@anyone.plus.com(Paul S) contains these words:

Well, brake fluid shouldn't have any water in it - though over time it'll accquire some anyway. In my experience it's water in the fluid that allows wheel cylinders to rust so quickly.

However - you appear to have passed plenty of fluid through the system so I'd say it's been well flushed and that there ain't a problem.

Reply to
Guy King

Thanks Guy

Reply to
Paul S

Paul S ( snipped-for-privacy@anyone.plus.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Do you bother to change the brake fluid?

Reply to
Adrian

What are they made of? The cast iron cylinders on my SD1 lasted about 15 years.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The message from "Dave Plowman (News)" contains these words:

I always thought Barbara Wodehouse was cruel blowing up dogs' noses. Anyway I could never get the bangers to stay up there long enough to light the fuse.

Reply to
Guy King

Scrap them.

Reply to
R. Murphy

Thought they had seized or broken bleed nipples?

If you can get the bleed nipples out and the bores look fine, might be worth it, since they presumably weren't leaking?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Thanks Dave.

They look like cast iron to me.

I managed to remove the bleed nipple that didn't shear using the metal vice approach. The other one still has the sheared nipple in, so I could take it somewhere to get it removed, or I could try the drill it out approach, although I don't have a drill stand.

I don't have a back up vehicle, so thought a recon pair might come in handy, although I can't think why I'd ever need to replace them, as long as I change the brake fluid every two years. Just a case of what to do with them otherwise.

I kept a section of exhaust pipe from my old 205GTI, and that has been indispensable for removing hub nuts, so it shows that keeping some things is worthwhile.

Reply to
Paul S

Buy a left hand spiral drill & it'll probably come out with a hand drill. Although 2 spare is probably excessive :-)

Reply to
Duncanwood

Bin them. Dave

Reply to
Dave Spam

They cost around 15 quid new? The pro labour cost to remove a broken bleed nipple is likely to exceed this. ;-)

Bin. HTH. ;-)

I've got a cellar full of 'just in case' But then I'm stupid.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If the cylinder was beyond ecumenical repair when you actually needed a cylinder, and had to go out and buy one, what makes you think that it is worth repairing as a spare, which you will very likely never need?

Reply to
SimonJ