automatic wipers

Hello,

I was just wondering, how do these automatic wipers work that switch on and speed up when it rains? I know there is a magic box behind the mirror but what is in it and how does it work?

Thanks.

Reply to
Stephen

Stephen gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

"The most common modern rain sensors are based on the principle of total internal reflection: an infrared light is beamed at a 45-degree angle into the windshield from the interior ? if the glass is wet, less light makes it back to the sensor, and the wipers turn on."

Reply to
Adrian

Not very well is the answer - in my experience.

Think it looks at light scatter in the glass.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Various methods but the latest use image sensors and DSPs to work it out. Here's the patent for one of Donnelly's systems:

Reply to
bweebar