Ball joint 806/ulysse/synergie

Hi My ulysse`s lower front ball joint cover is split and I assume I now have to replace the whole joint. Problem is I am a bit confused by the type of joint and its installation as I cannot obtain an Haynes book for the car.You appear to have a ball joint inserted up through the wishbone with no discernable thread and nut (as in the steering arm) to secure it but what appears to be single "pinch" bolt to secure it to the hub carrier. If I am right do I just undo the pinch bolt (Very tight I suppose) and lever the wishbone away from the carrier and knock the old joint out? Some advice would be very welcome with a comment as to how hard a job it is.

Cheers

Reply to
Capt T

Right, I haven't done one on this vehicle but the usual arrangement is this - The pinch bolt as you surmise will be very tight, it has to be removed fully because it engages with a groove in the pin part of the ball joint. It might also be threaded into the pinch clamp, so the nut is in fact a locknut, don't remove the nut and expect to knock the bolt out with a hammer.

The next problem will be that the pinch clamp will not release the pin, and may have to be prised open by something like bashing a chisel into the gap.

Then you may/should be able to lever the wishbone down so the pin comes clear of the clamp, this may take a big crowbar unless you are bloody strong.

Once that is done, you have to remove the joint from the wishbone, this may be a matter of three bolts holding it, or it may be riveted, or it may be part of the wishbone, not removable and you have to change the wishbone.

First thing would be to acquire the part. Assuming you can get the joint without the wishbone, looking at the new one will tell you how it's fitted to the wishbone.

HTH

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

Huh! That reminds me of replacing the rear coil spring on my wife's Previa. According to the CBOL (Chilton, Haynes don't do one) you simply loosen the upper caliper bolt and remove the bottom one, swing the caliper up then push down on the wishbone and slide the spring out.

Yeah right.

After removing the caliper completely, disconnecting the ball joint, there's still no chance of getting the uncompressed spring out. A normal spring compressor is too long to position correctly, but even with these in place it took wifey standing on the end of a five-foot scaffold pole (she's heavier than me) to get enough leverage to _hammer_ the spring out! Getting the new one in was even tougher as you might expect. I still haven't got round to the other side; I have that to look forward to next week :-(

Reply to
Chris Bolus

Just out of interest, are all the cars in your sig. owned by you now or are they all the cars you *have* owned?

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

They are all owned by me now, in various states of restoration apart from the Elf and the A40 which are road-legal runners (and quite smart too). Pics at

There's also a Triumph1300 fwd, plus the "moderns" - Previa, Rover 218SLD, and car #48 in thelist of "have-owned's", Vauxhall Omega.

Reply to
Chris Bolus

snip

They're the cars I wish I owned :)) Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

Good man.

I do like the smell of an old Triumph :o)

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot