Battery

Need a new battery for the SD1. Any thoughts on the best make - or ones to avoid? Want value - not necessarily to save pennies. The current one has done OK - about 6 years - but is a 'no name' one bought in an emergency.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

bosch, 5 year guarantee, Costco Croydon

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Seconded.(Although Reading in my case)

Reply to
Partac

I don't have a Costco card - and looking at their site they seem to require trade identification for one I couldn't provide.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You can get individual membership, take along some proofs of ID inc. a bill or two.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

And a certificate of belonging to a profesional body - or have they dropped that?

Reply to
Adrian C

it seems that virtually anyone can get a card.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Since the Croydon one is new and closer than any other I popped along and joined. The website isn't very clear about membership requirements - but a combination of union membership card and business card plus a utility bill was ok.

But a bit of a waste of time - they didn't have one listed for the SD1, although the SD1 was in their cat. Or for the XJ6 which uses the same one. Might use them for tyres, though. The E39 is due for some shortly.

Got a Halfords calcium with 4 year warranty for approx 95 quid. They've certainly gone up since last I bought one. Perhaps because of the high price of lead a few months ago - they might well come down again shortly.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You could always ask for your membership back, they would not quibble, but I expect that you will find plenty of stuff that will save you money.

I have found that their battery catalogue does not have every model mentioned, but 99 times out of a hundred there is a battery of the right size that does the job. The catalogue is ultra cautious as far as I can see !!

They have fairly regular specials on tyres with up to 40 quid off four and similar deals. Ask the tyre bay, they usually can guess a date.

Mrcheerful

Reply to
Mrcheerful