Rock Crusher cab top and tonneau boot

Has anyone bought this product. It is a cab top and tonneau boot that is suppose to connect into one pretty weather proof unit. I was wondering because it says it is not waterproof. Has anyone bought this and does it leak really bad when it rains. I would like to purchase one as a full time top for my TJ but if it leaks bad I will just keep my full top. I really like the look it gives the Jeep. Thanks in advance.

Marty

Reply to
Marty

Rock Crusher is a cheap offshore knock-off brand sold by 4 Wheel Parts and others. If their top is anything like their other products you'll rue the day you bought it.

Reply to
Gerald G. McGeorge

I wouldn't recommend it. A friend has one on her TJ, and i'm not pleased. There's only three snaps that attach the tonneau to the cab top, and water rolls right in. It may not be as much of an issue if they included a few bows to support the tonneau. You could easily fabricate some, but you would still take the chance of the water running under the cab top. I am very much against SteelHorse / RockCrusher / Whatever-name-they-use-this-year. I warned her seeral times before she bought it, and i've mentioned a few i-told-you-so's since.

If you like staying dry, i wouldn't get it.

Don W

'82 CJ8 Scrambler AMC 360 T/F 727 Dana 300 One-piece model 20 rear Dana 30 front, upgraded to 6-bolt caliper and Warn hubs, awaiting locker

2" shackle lift/reversal 2" lift springs of unknown origin 33" Mickey's

And it finally runs!!!!!

Reply to
Don Wallish

OK, guys, thanks for the info, guess I will pass up on this one. Don't want my TJ becoming a swimming pool. Bestop has one and is suppose to be tight but it is $500 so guess I'll have to save my pennies.

Thanks again, Marty

Reply to
Marty

Just to soap box a moment on this issue.

Steel Horse, Rock Crusher, etc., are managed by parasites who intentionally import crap, often not even tested, which they reverse engineer from quality products made by reputable Companies like Currie, Durango, Warn, Bestop, etc. These outfits' general scam is to make the items look in catalog print just like competitors' functional, high-quality, items and then sell them at half-price. The unsuspecting consumer bites on the scam, buys the junk, is disappointed and ends up having to spend even more to get the quality item they thought they were getting in the first place. Both the consumer and the quality mfr lose in the process, the only entities making out in this deal are the scumbags at 4 Wheel Parts and the offshore sweatshops.

The only way to fight this is to expose them and their products for what they are. If you order an item from any of the usual Jeep suppliers, like 4 Wheel Hardware, Quadratec, the aforementioned slime at 4 Wheel Parts, etc. and it turns out to be some Asian knock-off piece of junk, then send it back with a letter of complaint and post it here.

Reply to
Gerald G. McGeorge

As a matter of fact, I think StealHorse went out of business... but I've also heard they're back with another name selling the same crappy stuff. Even their plastic parts rust! td

Reply to
Tyler Dirden

I don't know about all their products, but according to this press release:

the former CEO has joined the ranks of Smittybilt. Hopefully he left Steel Horse's crap behind, but i doubt it.

Don W

'82 CJ8 Scrambler AMC 360 T/F 727 Dana 300 One-piece model 20 rear Dana 30 front, upgraded to 6-bolt caliper and Warn hubs, awaiting locker

2" shackle lift/reversal 2" lift springs of unknown origin 33" Mickey's

And it finally runs!!!!!

Reply to
Don Wallish

I agree 100%!!!!!!

Got a steelhorse bikini top and all the buckles broke on the first day in the first gust of wind!

I have personally seen two sets of steelhorse tow hooks come out of the box already rusted!

Mike

"Gerald G. McGeorge" wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

OK, that's prolly it, I've seen a number of Steelhorse products now sold by Smittybilt...

  • * * Matt Macchiarolo
Matt Macchiarolo

Well, I went ahead and bought it. As a concept it is great, Big back window, supposedly complete coverage, but it's just not made right.

- The plastic lip is too wide for the groove holding the tonnue cover, no kidding took me two hours to 'force" it in

- both the tonnue cover, and especially the bikini top are NOT tailored right, so whenever it rains, puddles form on them. This is especially bad on the bikini top, creating a 3-10 inch dip inside the cabin.

apart from that:

- its cheap

- I seriously cannot fault the fabric, it is thick and tough enough. The tailoring is the only/major problem I've had with it.

ps. I also had the bestop bikini/tonnue cover combo and while the quality was superior the design itself was worthless, the back window left so much open that it was not even a good windbreaker. even less a rain guard.

Hay9000

Reply to
Hay

The continuing saga of Rock Crusher quality!

Reply to
Gerald G. McGeorge

i have a '93 yj, which i run a soft top year round un upstate NY. i bought my BesTop from quadratec.com last year, and i love it. i then purchased for the summertime the bikini top, windjammer, and tonneau cover, and new roll bar pads.

the best for wind and rain is the full cover, fully zipped up. in light rain, the soft half doors and bikini and windjammer are good at keeping you dry, but in a downpour, forget it, because the bikini only goes to the side bars, not the door, leaving a good 2 inch gap! also the windjammer leaves a gap around the roll bar and so it can be noisy. it blocks about 90% of the wind, so i'm happy with that.

i am working with my mom on making a cab cover that will seal off the front two seats better than what's available out there. so far i haven't seen anything like what i am thinking of

Reply to
MudPuppy1976

My bikini top slaps me in the head when I drive. I don't remember that in my other jeeps. My daughter thinks it's a riot to watch daddy get hit in the head like this. It wears you out after a while.

"MudPuppy1976

Reply to
Joe

i bet! i still haven't figured out how to stop that flappage, but i never really thought of it as a problem. since i have two full tops, i'm gonna try and cut the one in half and use the front half to seal off the cab, maybe that will help stop the flap?

Reply to
MudPuppy1976

Reminds me... had a friend with a car that had a sagging headliner, very annoying... until you got to highway speed. There was enough vacuum pulled from holes rusted under the vinyl top to pull the headliner out of the way. Slow down, and headliner on head again. Spooky. __ Steve .

Reply to
Stephen Cowell