Battery going flat

Gentlemen,

We've all had this problem at some time or other. Your car's battery doesn't stay charged for extended periods. Maybe it's 2 weeks, maybe 2 or 3 days. Something is leaching current from your battery and if it's something more involved than a simple boot light not turning off, you could be in for a world of pain. In the old days before everything got crazy, we'd just pull fuses one by one and find the circuit repsonsible easily enough. But things have changed and your car now has a brain and likes to remain sentient at all times. This can be a major PITA as it means you may have to wait anything up to 2 hours between fuse-pulls for the systems to settle down again into a genuine quiescent state. And given the sheer number of fuses in a modern car, you may be looking at a *huge* amount of time to get through them all properly. However, there *is* an alternative which overcomes these issues. This helpful hillbilly explains how to go about it - and all you need is a cheapo DVM.

Cursitor Doom

Useful.

Oddly enough my van battery just flattened unexpectedly.

Reply to
newshound

Looking at the charts, I think my vehicles only have two sizes of fuse in the fuseboxes. The small ones look like "mini", but is the "big" one what the Americans call Standard or Maxi?

Reply to
newshound

Hard to say without an image, but most probably "standard" as they're by far the most common I've come across.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

It's not just the Lidl/Aldi ones that do this. Perhaps a safety feature? I have a large bench top charger that does the same.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News